Putting all your eggs in one basket

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skimble

With Beans
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the past 24 hours I have received interview invites to Iowa and UPenn. Penn is far and above my first choice for many reasons, including being in-state and I love the school. Part of me thinks maybe I should decline my interview offer at Iowa because if I get into Penn, I don't want to waste money traveling to Iowa. I realize getting an interview is not a guarantee of admission, but I do have to be prudent with how I spend my money too.

I would ask my family about this, but they really don't want to hear about anything other than Penn. I told them I was accepted to Midwestern, and they didn't respond at all, I don't think my Dad even looked up from his laptop.

Part of me thinks I just need to schedule the interview and go just in case I'm not accepted at Penn.

If anyone knows of an inexpensive airline that offers refundable tickets, that could definitely make my decision a lot easier!

Members don't see this ad.

I always search Expedia for the cheapest flights; they don't include Southwest, which is often cheap too.

Think of it this way: If you decline your Iowa interview offer and don't get accepted to Penn, how will you feel? There are no guarantees in this process; unless you really can't come up with the money or it will severely interfere with your ability to pay rent, eat, etc., then eat the cost of the trip to Iowa.

I'm kind of in the same boat.

I guess the question is: If you get accepted to Iowa, will you be happy? Will you still want to go?

I can't answer those questions honestly for myself yet so I understand where you're coming from

Members don't see this ad :)
If I got rejected by Penn and accepted to Iowa and none of the other 3 schools I have yet to hear from, I would probably go to Iowa simply because it's cheaper than Midwestern and fully accredited. But I'm a cold weenie, and I would hate the weather for sure.

I guess it depends on if you find the cost of the plane ticket worth having Iowa as an option. If you value going to Iowa over going to Midwestern, and think it would be worth the money a plane ticket costs to do so, then definitely schedule an interview with Iowa.

I think I'd want as many options as possible in your shoes to make the best decision possible, including the most financially prudent long-term.

Reactions: 1 user
The average daily temp in Des Moines (for example) in Jan is 31.
In Philly is 41.

Is 10 degrees really gonna matter that much?

I think that is NOT a good reason to choose to pick a school.

Reactions: 6 users
I ended up accepting my only offer despite heavy doubts (not just much colder, but a different country altogether) and four years later, I'm glad I'm about to graduate instead of still trying to get in or only halfway through. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I agree with @that redhead's sentiment; if your top priority is to be a veterinarian, you might be able to do vet school at an accredited institution anywhere for four years, although it sounds like the weather isn't necessarily a deal breaker to you. Just need to make sure you have those options... which means pricey flights. :)

No, weather isn't a deal breaker, and if that was what I based my decision on, I'd pay my deposit to Midwestern now! Iowa also has a really cool study abroad program that I would love to take advantage of.

I really appreciate all of the input, I think you are all telling me what I wanted/needed to hear. I just know my family is going to give me a really hard time about spending more money to travel to another out of state school, and really that's what this is about. If I don't get into Penn, and I declined the invite to Iowa, I would really be kicking myself. Granted I do have an acceptance to one school already, so I could always go there, but the cost difference between the tuition at Iowa and Midwestern is a lot more than the cost of airfare and other travel expenses!

I feel you. In the last 24 hours I received interview invites for UPenn, Iowa State, Atlantic, Auburn, and LSU. And I've already interviewed at Western and am about to go to Missouri. I don't know how to pick which to attend. I definitely can't do them all. But I'm so overwhelmed I don't know which to decline!

The average daily temp in Des Moines (for example) in Jan is 31.
In Philly is 41.

Is 10 degrees really gonna matter that much?

I think that is NOT a good reason to choose to pick a school.
Not to mention, once you are accepted to vet school your life will consist of "what is this strange foreign land of "outdoors" you speak of?"

Reactions: 3 users
I feel you. In the last 24 hours I received interview invites for UPenn, Iowa State, Atlantic, Auburn, and LSU. And I've already interviewed at Western and am about to go to Missouri. I don't know how to pick which to attend. I definitely can't do them all. But I'm so overwhelmed I don't know which to decline!

If by Atlantic you mean AVC...I'd pick the other US schools. Tuition, convenience, future travel expense...all against AVC versus the others you have to choose from.

If by Atlantic you mean AVC...I'd pick the other US schools. Tuition, convenience, future travel expense...all against AVC versus the others you have to choose from.
I do mean AVC...in Prince Edward Island. I know some alumni that speak very highly about it, which is why I applied. But yeah, it will be expensive. Tuition isn't too bad with the Canadian dollar being low right now compared to some US schools, but that could definitely change in four years. I'm thinking about excluding Iowa State because the class is about 150 students, and for what it costs I would rather have a small class. Same for U Penn, the class size is about 30 students less, but it still costs a lot and I'm not excited about northern weather. But it's a lot to think about; I'm sure I haven't even considered several really important factors yet. Thanks for your input :)

If it helps at all, I was *this* close to not going to my interview at one school since I had acceptances elsewhere that I was happy with. I decided to go last minute, and I was so blown away that that was the school I decided to matriculate to.

I know it is expensive, but you never know, it very might be well worth the risk. :)

Not to mention, once you are accepted to vet school your life will consist of "what is this strange foreign land of "outdoors" you speak of?"
110% truth. and seasons will be HOT and COLD - in reference to the temperatures they will likely keep your classrooms at during the year ;)

Reactions: 1 users
No, weather isn't a deal breaker, and if that was what I based my decision on, I'd pay my deposit to Midwestern now! Iowa also has a really cool study abroad program that I would love to take advantage of.

I really appreciate all of the input, I think you are all telling me what I wanted/needed to hear. I just know my family is going to give me a really hard time about spending more money to travel to another out of state school, and really that's what this is about. If I don't get into Penn, and I declined the invite to Iowa, I would really be kicking myself. Granted I do have an acceptance to one school already, so I could always go there, but the cost difference between the tuition at Iowa and Midwestern is a lot more than the cost of airfare and other travel expenses!

Family is important and all... but you have to remember this is your life, your dream, your career. If you end up going to Iowa, it's not like you'd never be able to go back to PA. You'd just be doing school in a different place. I'm really sorry for their lack of enthusiasm for your Midwestern acceptance. It is really, really awesome!

Anyway, I always operate under the philosophy, if you go out without a raincoat, it'll pour. It's best to be prepared for anything, so I would find a way to make your Iowa interview. I hope it all works out for the best! =)

What everyone else said, plus: If your family isn't actually paying for any of this, they have no say. Sorry if that's tough love, but that's how I look at it. Once they say they will pay your way, but only if you go to Penn, that's when you have a good reason to consider turning down other schools.

I just wanted to say you're not alone and I understand the non supportive family (someone in mine has even told me they hoped I get rejected from a certain school). It's tough. It's easy to tell yourself "it's my life I'll make the decisions" but it's hard to actually ignore your family and push through (and money being tight makes it worse).

So to echo good advice, it is your life and your choices. :)

Congratulations on your acceptance, and here's hoping to more!

I do mean AVC...in Prince Edward Island. I know some alumni that speak very highly about it, which is why I applied. But yeah, it will be expensive. Tuition isn't too bad with the Canadian dollar being low right now compared to some US schools, but that could definitely change in four years. I'm thinking about excluding Iowa State because the class is about 150 students, and for what it costs I would rather have a small class. Same for U Penn, the class size is about 30 students less, but it still costs a lot and I'm not excited about northern weather. But it's a lot to think about; I'm sure I haven't even considered several really important factors yet. Thanks for your input :)

I do definitely enjoy having a class size of only 63 students - I can't even imagine classes over 100! - and the professors are fantastic. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me :)