Putting Highschool Experiences in Medical School Application

GoMustangs99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether or not I should put some of of my Highschool experiences in my medical school application. I completed 30 hours of neonatology/ perinatalogy sjadowing freshman year of Highschool. During this experience I was able to cut an umbilical cord and hold a premature baby. This experience is the reason I decided to be pre-med in college. When I was a junior in highschool I completed a 40 hour orthopedic preceptorship. The summer after my senior year of Highschool I accumulated around 50 hours of hospital volunteering. That same summer I spent a week in Ghana assisting in medical outreach. I was just wondering what of these experiences I should include in my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Side note, I can't tell by your post if you just started college or are towards the end of it.

Common wisdom is that EC's accrued in high school should not be included on an app. Now, maybe the volunteering after your high school graduation could be counted, along with the "outreach" (but this could be viewed as medical tourism, a negative on an app). Also, perhaps I'm missing something but how does a high schooler have a preceptorship, especially with a non-allied medical professional?

EDIT: grammar

^Agree with the above and you could briefly mention your OB experience in your PS as an initial inspiration, but your app and statement really should reflect your more recent experiences and understanding of the profession.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Side note, I can't tell by your post if you just started college or are towards the end of it.

Common wisdom is that EC's accrued in high school should not be included on an app. Now, maybe the volunteering after your high school graduation could be counted, along with the "outreach" (but this could be viewed as medical tourism, a negative on an app). Also, perhaps I'm missing something but how does a high schooler have a preceptorship, especially with a non-allied medical professional?

EDIT: grammar
I'm going to be a second year at Cal Poly.
They called it a preceptorship, but basically it was just observing orthopedic surgeries, pre-ops, post-ops, MRIs, and physical therapy. I was able to do it because of my connections with the orthopedic center. What makes something medical tourism? I spent two weeks working with an existing organization located in Ghana that is run by a friend's father-in-law. I helped with the organization and logistic of 4 village outreaches with local doctors over the 2 week period

What makes something medical tourism? I spent two weeks working with an existing organization located in Ghana that is run by a friend's father-in-law. I helped with the organization and logistic of 4 village outreaches with local doctors over the 2 week period

There's been no continued service; you've gone once and that's it. Plenty of students go to the corners of the Earth on a one-time trip and put it in their apps, but adcoms have realized that their reasoning was superficial. This activity would be given more validity if your visits were consistent and over a sustained period of time.

The only thing I've heard of that you achieve/do in high school that should explicitly listed on a med school application or a CV is if you get a research publication. Other than that high school activities are typically disregarded on med school applications. Once you start college it's a clean slate. Same goes for entering med school.