Pyridium or anti holinergic in post quad bypass pt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cherryalmond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have never posted here as i am usually reading psychiatry forums since i am a psychiatrist but recently a close family member of mine has had an issue and i thought it couldn't hurt to see wht uro residents n urologists have to say abt my question. My family member is post quadruple bypass and aortic valve replacement, developed icu psychosis and pulled out his foley causing a urethral rupture. I have been told the treatment for this is to place the catheter back in and it stays in for like ten days till it heals. They were able to get it back in. Anyway since it was put back in my family member is having severe bladder spasms every half hr or so where he will yell in pain for about 20 seconds. The urologist consulting does not believe the risks of pain meds or anticholinergics outweigh the benefits. He also told me pyridium would be of no use in this case. I am torn between wanting pain relief for a loved one vs being scared of any adverse cardiac or mental status effects an added med could cause. It didn't help that this particular urologist was very cold and seemed to be lacking in empathy. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.