Pyroluria and Zinc Levels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The condition pyroluria affects the ability to metabolize Vitamin B6 and Zinc. Kryptopyrroles are a byproduct of haemoglobin synthesis. If not properly excreted, the kryptopyrroles bind to receptor sites for B6 and Zinc. One of the metabolites attaches to Zinc and removes it in urine, resulting in zinc deficiency.

My question is does this condition *always* show a clinical marker of low serum zinc levels? Or is it possible to simply block zinc receptors without eliminating zinc from the body, resulting in higher than normal serum zinc levels because of all of the unmetabolized zinc?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In other words no one can answer your question because pyroluria doesn't exist.

"Wow, I figured the treatment was suspect, but I had no idea that the condition itself is unproven."

This is OMM wrapped up in a nutshell. I'm sure 99-100% of DO students would be able to do a quick google or literature search on "pyroluria" and instantaneously understand that it is a bogus disease and any treatments for it are unnecessary. So why then do DO students put up blinders when it comes to "somatic dysfuction?"

Maybe the AOA can fund some research on the effects of OMM on pyroluria.

This is OMM wrapped up in a nutshell. I'm sure 99-100% of DO students would be able to do a quick google or literature search on "pyroluria" and instantaneously understand that it is a bogus disease and any treatments for it are unnecessary. So why then do DO students put up blinders when it comes to "somatic dysfuction?"

Maybe the AOA can fund some research on the effects of OMM on pyroluria.

Some/most DO students just want to be physicians. Chapman Points and Cranial will receive a minuscule fraction of my time and effort during medical school. I just look at it as though I'm expected to learn the origins of manipulative medicine, but I'd never use any treatment methodology on a patient that wasn't supported by evidence. It's just a small hoop to jump through.