Q about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1dayatatime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a q about LOR's. I spent a significant amount of time before medical school with a PI who thinks the world of me and really knows me well. HOwever, I've never worked with him clinically if we're being technical since it was before med school and he hasn't seen me present or work up patients. However, he's seen how I handle research projects, my character attributes, how I get along with others, etc. I guess I always assumed I'd get a letter from him, but is that really a good idea or would derm PDs be expecting letters from ppll Ive worked with in aways (for 2 days-1 month :( ) and internal medicine attendings (who have known me for what...2 wks).

Members don't see this ad.

In general, letters from attendings with whom you have worked are expected. Derm LORs are usually given more weight than IM LORs. The exception goes to MD-PhDs, who frequently submits a LORs from their PhD mentor. Letter from a research mentor before med school is generally not a good idea, unless you have continued the research throughout med school with significant publications. It is difficult to have a meaningful letter from attendings who don't know you well. Was your pre-med school research in derm? If so, maybe you could try to work with your PI clinically for a more meaningful letter?

No not in derm. I haven't kept it up but the pubs have kept coming. It was essentially a md PhD bc it was 5 yrs of my life and at a heavily academic institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
also as a general rule would prelim and TY's want 1 LOR from an internal med attending or can I pick a psych or family medicine attending?

Lastly, how do derm programs feel about these specialties (family med, pediatrics - both were at a community hospital however, and my IM letter would be from a university hospital but was literally over 6 months ago).

Last edited:
For Derm letters get the highest profile best known Derm names (to the best of your ability) to write you letters. Period. Additionally, they must be quality (not one day interactions).

This is a game of who you know in the Derm world, not how that IM attending liked how well you managed that diabetic patient.

isn't there something to be said for ppl who know you better/best and are local/less well known vs. big name you might've worked with for 2 wks and also writes the same letter for 20 others?

Theoretically yes. But the world is all about who you know. Most LORs are written positively. Thus reviewers give more weight to a letter written by someone they know who is in dermatology, vs a letter written by someone they don't know. I had a very strong PhD letter (I'm a mudpud), but during all my interviewers, people commenting on my other letters written by derm attendings. They were good letters, but not as good as my PhD letter (two pages of a heartfelt statement). But too bad, my research wasn't in derm and no one knows my PI at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again dermione. That is a good point but I also wonder how to know who is a "big name"_I've looked up PPL on PubMed and some PPL I hear are big legit have a bazillion pubs, but some only have like 4. I guess this can be hard to predICT who knows who. Also wondering if I should pick a IM letter from an academic attending from over 6mos. Ago or a family med or pediatricIan letter who's more recent and possibly better. I guess I should choose the im letter cuz ill need it for my prelim or ty yr anyway.

For a different perspective, I had a non Derm MD with whom I did research write me a LOR, and apparently it was a very positive one. Numerous programs had interviewers who commented on that letter specifically, certainly with more frequency than my Derm LORs.

Reactions: 1 user
What is expected you provide to the derms that write your LOR..? Is it expected that you divulge your Step score to them?!

What is expected you provide to the derms that write your LOR..? Is it expected that you divulge your Step score to them?!

For my letter writers I scheduled a meeting with them, and brought my CV and papers. Most of them kept a copy of my CV. I don't think we specifically talked about my scores but I would think that could vary with different attendings. I think you are expected to discuss your scores and grades with your derm mentor, however, who may become your letter writer if you end up working together clinically.