q.about salary....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how the job market is after residency? for pain management? what is the starting salary for rehab? for subspecialties?....thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Private> Academics
with Subspeciality> without

Base PMR: private: 120-170 K
BasePMR ; academic 100-120K
Base pain academic: 120K with insentives
Base pain non academic: 140-170 with insentives
Base pain in ortho group: depends on other skills ( ?EMG)

Difference btw east and west: yes
Most salary: south and midwest

Other subspecialities: just about the same as base pain academic

Market: good for MS doc with EMG and pain skils (multi

Market good for general PMR doc for inpt

market fair for SCI (based on journal watch)
Market fair for academic jobs
Market better for private practice jobs
Market poor: east coast
Market better Midwest /south

Who has the best chance of gettint the job?
1- Locals
2- Graduates of Better schools
3- Pain Felows MS/EMG/Pain combo jobs both private and academic. Also Spine fellows do well here.
4- SCI fellows for SCI jobs
5- TBI fellow and other sub-speciality jobs for the sub-speciality jobs

6--Good resume
7-Good supporting faculty
8-Interviewing skills

good luck to all future applicants,

thanks for the reply...but those salaries seem a little bit on the lower end..i mean i have read that pain fellows/sci/msk can earn as much as >200,000 is that inaccurate or does it just depend on geographic area/isolated instances,etc? how is the west coast in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
these are starting salary out of residency/fellowship. once you are established, and with more experience, the salary will go up.

I agree with the general salary ranges posted. I think that the trick is to be "well-rounded." The demand these days is for outpatient PM&R, but I've heard that inpatient jobs are plentiful and going begging. The salaries in the inpatient arena are beginning to bump a little. Personally, my ideal situation would be a small inpatient practice (say medical directorship of a small inpatient rehab unit) combined with an outpatient MSK/pain practice. The inpatient side of things provides steady income and the MSK/pain side can be developed to reflect one's own personal interests skills and optimal payor mix.

Rehabdoc,

You mentioned that the market is poor in the East Coast. Which states, specifically in the East, have a poor market? It seems like NY would be one of them, especially with the disparity of the quality of PM&R programs within the state.