Q For M4s and interns: Studying for Step2 During EM month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alejandro

Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question about step 2. I think i'm gonna need to crush it (250+) but I just don't know how much time I'll have to study for it. That said, I have a 'study month' for may, followed by my home EM followed by two away EM rotations.

Any experience with studying for step 2 during EM rotations (home/away)? Did it get in the way with you studying for your EM rotation? I think both of my rotations don't have an exam at the end of it...

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming since you posted in this forum you are interested in pursuing a residency in emergency medicine.

While you may not have exams at the end of the month, if you really want to crush step 2, id study hard for your "study month" and take the test in the first week or so of the your home EM rotation.

While a great step 2 score helps, 3 STELLAR letters of recommendation help much more, in my opinion. I'd make it your goal to do well on Step 2 (you don't need 250+) and then devote yourself entirely to 3 great rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Quick question about step 2. I think i'm gonna need to crush it (250+) but I just don't know how much time I'll have to study for it. That said, I have a 'study month' for may, followed by my home EM followed by two away EM rotations.

Any experience with studying for step 2 during EM rotations (home/away)? Did it get in the way with you studying for your EM rotation? I think both of my rotations don't have an exam at the end of it...

I did the bulk of my step 2 studying during an EM away rotation and crushed it (>260) and found it to be very helpful for my ED shifts. However, that away rotation didn't have a test/shelf at the end - it was all shifts. Therefore I wasn't distracted by any final exam/shelf-specific studying. If you have a shelf to study for, I would prioritize that. I would easily trade 10+ points of Step 2 for an Honors grade on an EM rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question. I have an EM away mid-June to mid-July with a test at the end; I would have about 10 days I could dedicate exclusively to studying after this rotation before beginning 4 weeks of a light rotation with no exam at the end. After this light month, I have the first three weeks of September free and available for dedicated studying/Step 2 test-taking. Should I study during the away in June/July (with test at the end) + 10 additional days of dedicated study and take Step 2 about August 1st, or should I study during the non-EM month (will have more time and no final test) and then 2 weeks-ish for dedicated studying and take Step 2 in early or mid-September? I am currently leaning toward the latter option, as my Step 1 score is high, I will be able to study more, and I don't want to compromise my performance on the away.

I studied for step 2 during an away. Pretty much spent all my time outside the hospital sitting in my room cranking out UWorld questions and then studying up on EM specific stuff when I needed a switch. I feel like the constant studying of for boards keeps you sharp in the ED and the EM specific stuff has a lot of carryover. Ended up with a 260 and honors on the away so it worked out fine.

Reactions: 1 user