Q for those who've read THE HOUSE OF GOD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am reading Samuel Shem's "The House of God," and I've come across some things in the book that trouble me...

In the last chapter that I read, Dr. Basch, Shem's alter ego, just injected KCl intravenously into Saul, a terminally ill cancer patient, to relieve his suffering.. For right now, he is the only one who knows of it, and is struggling with his own conscious about it...

I was told that the book is an account of Shem's own internship while in residency..

Is this confession about murdering a patient really true? I'm figuring that it would be silly for Shem to actually admit that he knowingly took a patient's life..if this is the case, then, is anything in this book actual truth?

(Disclaimer: Please don't bark at me for asking..I'm really not certain if this book is truth or fiction..)

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe that's one of the beaufiul results from writing the book that way. He can always deny it.

docjolly said:
Hi Everyone,

I am reading Samuel Shem's "The House of God," and I've come across some things in the book that trouble me...

In the last chapter that I read, Dr. Basch, Shem's alter ego, just injected KCl intravenously into Saul, a terminally ill cancer patient, to relieve his suffering.. For right now, he is the only one who knows of it, and is struggling with his own conscious about it...

I was told that the book is an account of Shem's own internship while in residency..

Is this confession about murdering a patient really true? I'm figuring that it would be silly for Shem to actually admit that he knowingly took a patient's life..if this is the case, then, is anything in this book actual truth?

(Disclaimer: Please don't bark at me for asking..I'm really not certain if this book is truth or fiction..)
This book is available from the Fiction section of your bookstore. Fiction = not actual events, even if it's loosely based on reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
TheFlash said:
This book is available from the Fiction section of your bookstore. Fiction = not actual events, even if it's loosely based on reality.

Well,

It always tickes my heart to know that people are kind enough to respond to my questions in such a sweet, helpful manner..(and define words for me, as well!) thank you

Apparently you needed the help. You're welcome. That book is an obvious satire.

TheFlash said:
Apparently you needed the help. You're welcome. That book is an obvious satire.

Well,

I did receive help from Mbess481..Your response was unnecessary and it really didn't address my concerns..But thank you for posting, nevertheless :D

docjolly said:
Well,

I did receive help from Mbess481..Your response was unnecessary and it really didn't address my concerns..But thank you for posting, nevertheless :D
*sigh* You specifically say, "I'm not certain if this book is fact or fiction." I addressed that, didn't I? It's fiction. In the afterword, he even says that even though the book is a manifestation of his internship, it is by no means the truth. I mean, really. If you think he was having sex with nurses on a daily basis, "doing nothing" for seriously ill patients and winning the **MVI**, you need to get a brain check. Like I said, it might be loosely based in reality, but is Shem's personal satire of his internship year.

For those of you, like Mbess481, who've read other Shem books, do you have any thoughts about the book? I'd appreciate your responses :)

docjolly said:
For those of you, like Mbess481, who've read other Shem books, do you have any thoughts about the book? I'd appreciate your responses :)

I read the book long time back, so i don't remember correctly. But, I think this could be the author's way of blurring reality and fiction (perhaps) -writers like to do that.

Other than that the book is a satire like Catch 22

May be he wants to say that this could happen/you may do it! Residency is terribly frustrating :scared:

Just enjoy it, I don't think he ever did something like this. It's just his imagination speaking

I think a real interesting aspect is that during residency, thoughts about killing patients crossed his mind...not only to relieve their pain but his own as well. I loved HOG, and think it should be required reading, although some find it repulsive.

Interesting...Shem is similar to HaShem which is Hebrew eponym for God...

Does that mean Steve Bergman is calling himself Sam God?

Heh.