Q on retaking MCAT after submitting AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Etoile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you submit your app with your current MCAT scores, but then later that year decide to retake the MCAT, how does that work? Will the schools still accept the new scores if you submit them or are they exempt since you didn't indicate on the application that you planned to take the MCAT at a later date?

I'm kind of wavering on whether I want to retake it but I don't want to rule out the possibility yet.

Similarly, if I don't indicate that I will be retaking the MCAT, but then later decide to, how are the schools notified of my new score? I'm assuming it's not automatic and I need to initiate it. However, that seems a little shady since in theory students could withhold notifying schools of that second score if it decreased.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
yessss please answer his/her question! i have the exact same one!

btw, based on what you wrote, there is a place on the amcas application where you can checkmark that you'll be retaking the mcat?

If you're considering taking a future MCAT, list that test date on your application. If you decide not to take it, simply remove that test date, and your application will be complete and sent to schools.

Also, you have to release your MCAT scores to AMCAS. So until you do that your application isn't sent out.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're considering taking a future MCAT, list that test date on your application. If you decide not to take it, simply remove that test date, and your application will be complete and sent to schools.

Also, you have to release your MCAT scores to AMCAS. So until you do that your application isn't sent out.

no, that's not what we're asking. if you are RETAKING the mcat and already have your AMCAS sent with your old crappy MCAT, then how do you go about updating the schools with the NEW MCAT that you receive later in the summer? will the schools accept the new mcat? if they do, you send it through AMCAS? how does that work? thanks

yessss please answer his/her question! i have the exact same one!

btw, based on what you wrote, there is a place on the amcas application where you can checkmark that you'll be retaking the mcat?

Yeah, there is a prompt that asks you whether you are planning on taking the MCAT at a later date.

I wouldn't have a problem checking it off, except that since I'm not decided, I don't want my AMCAS unnecessarily put on hold should I later decide to not take it.

Same exact position.. I just signed up to re-take July 10th

LOL, i saw you posting under the 4/5 mcat thread. i take it you didnt get the score you wanted either LOL. this sucks man! i thought i'd have a free summer! damnit gonna be miserable now!!! how'd you do? i got a 10 on verbal, which is what i always got on practice tests, a R on writing which i thought was hilarious considering i didnt FINISH either essay, but then 8s on the sciences. sooo sorry. 26R...TRASH retake!

anyways, can someone please answer this! it has to be a real basic question!

Er... maybe I'm misunderstanding, but seems like we're in different positions since you already decided to retake the MCAT. You shouldn't have any problem. Just check off the box indicating that you are planning on retaking the MCAT at a later date. :)

no, that's not what we're asking. if you are RETAKING the mcat and already have your AMCAS sent with your old crappy MCAT, then how do you go about updating the schools with the NEW MCAT that you receive later in the summer? will the schools accept the new mcat? if they do, you send it through AMCAS? how does that work? thanks

See above. Sounds like you two are in the same position! If you already decided to take the MCAT, just check off the box to let them know you'll be retaking later this year (and then I think it prompts you to submit the date) and your scores will automatically be sent to those schools. At least that's my understanding. I'm wondering how to update if I *don't* check the box, but then later decide to retake it.

haha what's up pal.. Yeah I got a 28 O... 9/9/10.. I know I can get at least a 30 with a little bit more work. I really didn't want to have even a glance at this stuff during the summer but I think it'll be worth it to study it another couple months and then be done with it. I am still submitting the primary.

i just got an email back from my premed advisor. he said AMCAS will send out the NEW mcat score. in the meantime you will send your AMCAS with your OLD score that way you can receive back your secondaries and work on that stuff. you'll just update the schools later with new mcat later in summer via amcas. i also asked him if it looked bad since i have to retake it and he said "Retaking it is no problem." good!

good luck

yeah, soccerman...haha we'll get vengeance. don't you worry. i'm actually excited to start studying for this...pretty lame of me i know lol. i just feel ill actually have a fair shot at it this time. i've been taking 21 hours this semester and really only had a solid month to study for it. i didn't even get a chance to review any bio or ochem. i figured i'd be okay since im a bio major, that was a mistake!

There is an option on the AMCAS for future MCAT days. Be sure to mark on AMCAS that you are going to take another MCAT.

There is an option on the AMCAS for future MCAT days. Be sure to mark on AMCAS that you are going to take another MCAT.

if you mark that option, will AMCAS still send out your apps using your old score and simply update all the schools with your new score later?

See my edit in which I tried to emphasize my point. In my hypothetical situation, I would *not* have indicated the intention of retaking the MCAT on my app because at the time of submission, I had not decided to retake it. I would have decided *after* submitting. In this case, I am wondering what the protocol is if it is even allowed at all.

See my edit in which I tried to emphasize my point. In my hypothetical situation, I would *not* have indicated the intention of retaking the MCAT on my app because at the time of submission, I had not decided to retake it. I would have decided *after* submitting. In this case, I am wondering what the protocol is if it is even allowed at all.

hmm, okay, yea that doesn't really apply to me. i've already decided to retake it and will be doing so july 10th lol. my last question still stands...

You can add MCAT dates after submitting your AMCAS.

If you decide to retake the MCAT you could call the school(s) directly and see the option they give you. I had a similar problem and they told me to send letters to their adm committies with the day I decided to retake the test. Later when I got the results I send them directly to the schools.
Good luck:)

If you decide to retake the MCAT you could call the school(s) directly and see the option they give you. I had a similar problem and they told me to send letters to their adm committies with the day I decided to retake the test. Later when I got the results I send them directly to the schools.
Good luck:)

This is what I would've done. Give 'em a heads up and then the new scores. Though they may hold off on giving secondaries/interviews until the new scores get in if your first score is low enough.

This is what I would've done. Give 'em a heads up and then the new scores. Though they may hold off on giving secondaries/interviews until the new scores get in if your first score is low enough.

i just finished the mcat section of the amcastic last night and did the "give them the heads up" thing, where i just filled out the part--affirmatorily--that asked, "are you planning to take it again?" i gave them the date, and i hope that they will do as some of you have stated and just send us 2-daries (since, per my advisors, schools no longer screen with respect to the amcas **in making a decision to send out 2-daries**--this screening part comes when they decide to whom to send the ##interview invites##, which--last time i checked--are certainly different from the cash cow they call the secondaries.)...unless, er, i'm missing something with regard to perhaps differing ~levels of~ secondaries. for example, is anyone anal enough out there to know if there are, say "send us some more cash first and we'll think about sending a longer version" secondaries as well as "all-in-one send us cash AND write your essays" 2-daries (i.e. for the same school)?