Qn about Abdominal aortic aneurysm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashik33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are most abdominal aortic aneurysms located below the level of renal arteries?

Members don't see this ad.

The aorta itself is supplied by small blood vessels called the vasa vasorum.

You've gotta know that the vasa vasorum ends at the level of the renal arteries.

This means the abdominal aorta below L2 is dependent on luminal O2 diffusion for adequate oxygenation.

In turn, this means the aorta is thinner below L2, thereby predisposing to aneurysm.

----

Now that I answered yours, maybe you'll respond to my thread on interferon?

Members don't see this ad :)
The aorta itself is supplied by small blood vessels called the vasa vasorum.

You've gotta know that the vasa vasorum ends at the level of the renal arteries.

This means the abdominal aorta below L2 is dependent on luminal O2 diffusion for adequate oxygenation.

In turn, this means the aorta is thinner below L2, thereby predisposing to aneurysm.

----

Now that I answered yours, maybe you'll respond to my thread on interferon?

Thanks. I wished I could answer your question. I just reviewed Jawetz and surprisingly, they too were confused :confused: To be true, I am pretty weak when it comes to immunology (and i am too lazy to review multiple sources as well...:oops:)

according to Robbins, the medial weakening in AAA is due to increased diffusion distance to the INNER part of the media due to atherosclerosis (versus a thoracic aortic aneurysm, which the outer part of the media is ischemic from the vaso vasorum being narrowed by hypertension)

since that part of the aorta is the most common place for atherosclerosis, that's why there is the medial weakening and aneurysm there

according to Robbins, the medial weakening in AAA is due to increased diffusion distance to the INNER part of the media due to atherosclerosis (versus a thoracic aortic aneurysm, which the outer part of the media is ischemic from the vaso vasorum being narrowed by hypertension)

since that part of the aorta is the most common place for atherosclerosis, that's why there is the medial weakening and aneurysm there

thats what I remember from robbins.
also,
1)the aorta below the renal vessels has lesser vasa vasorum than the thoracic(v/s no vasa vasorum)
2) it is also subject to greater stress during systole and diastole.
3) its wall is slightly thinner in the abdomen
4)role of metalloproteinases,inflammation=implicated in familial clustering.
so its a combination of these factors which make it more prone to aneurysms.
I havent come across any source which stated it was due to absense of vasa vasorum as the initiator/most important factor.

haven't come across it in GT either.

haven't come across it in GT either.

FlQlK.png