QR timing frustration!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkhan27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really frustrated with this section and I need some tips. I can't take it anymore. Aaaaaaaahhhh!!!!! :bang:

I am doing timed QR now on Math Destroyer and I always seem to run out of time. I am getting like 25/40. Its awful and its got me banging my head on the book lol. I was doing really good untimed (32-36/40), but now its awful. Please give some advice and tips. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What types of problems are you missing when timed? And what kinds of problems do you get more correct when untimed?

Reactions: 1 user
I am really frustrated with this section and I need some tips. I can't take it anymore. Aaaaaaaahhhh!!!!! :bang:

I am doing timed QR now on Math Destroyer and I always seem to run out of time. I am getting like 25/40. Its awful and its got me banging my head on the book lol. I was doing really good untimed (32-36/40), but now its awful. Please give some advice and tips. Thanks.

Lmfao I was the exact same position as you. Doing untimed I did well. I consider myself pretty good at algebra and trig, but my applied math and probability was bad. What I did was made a word doc of problems I was slow at, and then do them at once. I also made flashcards of word problems. The reason I made flashcards for math id because when you click 'next' on your test, you should be able to have at least an idea on how to start a problem. Again, Ari suggests to do your problems in waves, easy first, medium (problems that you know how to do but just need a bit more time), and hard last. This way it helps you get more questions correct. Be sure to practice this method a lot as this gives you a lot of time left over for you in the upcoming waves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really felt like QR Destroyer overcomplicated things than what the real DAT was like. Just learn tricks like backsolving and estimation and you'll breeze through a lot of problems and save yourself loads of time for the tougher, longer ones.

What types of problems are you missing when timed? And what kinds of problems do you get more correct when untimed?

When untimed I would always do really good in the shape problems (side/areas/perimeter), trig, rate/speed problems, age problems, etc. Now with time I seem to run out of time.

Lmfao I was the exact same position as you. Doing untimed I did well. I consider myself pretty good at algebra and trig, but my applied math and probability was bad. What I did was made a word doc of problems I was slow at, and then do them at once. I also made flashcards of word problems. The reason I made flashcards for math id because when you click 'next' on your test, you should be able to have at least an idea on how to start a problem. Again, Ari suggests to do your problems in waves, easy first, medium (problems that you know how to do but just need a bit more time), and hard last. This way it helps you get more questions correct. Be sure to practice this method a lot as this gives you a lot of time left over for you in the upcoming waves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @StevenLuSL I'll use that approach now. I remember you said that in your DAT breakdown as well, so I gotta force myself :smack:to do this method. There are so many topics that I feel look really easy in the QR section, but the time is just the pressure. If I master these weak spots like combination/permutation stuff, then hopefully I can stop worrying about these easy problems and worry about the hard ones.

I just took my DAT this week and I got a 21 QR. I was only finishing about 25-35 problems on timed destroyer tests. The real DAT was WAY easier than any of the destroyer exams and I didn't run out of time. Don't stress. I was sure I was getting an 18 on QR based on my practice exams. Just keep studying.