All Branch Topic (ABT) Qualifications of a Naval Officer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSS1Lw/o

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon all. Is a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis a disqualification for commissioning in the Navy as a physician? If so, is it something that a waiver could conceivably be granted for, or is it an absolute disqualification like DM? Further details, it was an incidental finding, and I take .25mcg levothyroxine for TSH suppression. No overt hypothyroidism. I know that I'll need to roll the dice with DODMERB when I apply; I just wanted to have an idea what I'm up against. Thank you all for your invaluable wisdom provided in the many threads I've scoured over time.

Members don't see this ad.

I take .25mcg levothyroxine for TSH suppression.
0.25 micrograms? How are taking that, sniffing the bottle? That seems like hardly enough to suppress anything. Or did you mean 0.25 mg = 250 micrgrams? Whatever the case, if you're completely asymptomatic and well-controlled on PO meds, my guess is that it would be waiverable. I'd contact a recruiter and see if you can find (in writing) if it's an automatic DQ. You could also just apply and go through the DODMERB process, see what happens.

I used to call some CAPT at bumed that would waiver almost anything, but I was dealing with enlisted.