Quality qualities in a resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobdolerson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the attendings or people who have dealth first-hand with the residency matching, I have a couple questions.

I'll preface them first with a bit of autobiography. I'm a first year DMUer, currently 20/54 in my class with an 88 GPA (stupid 80 in anatomy dragged down a low A pretty far...), but I think I have a lot of "intangibles". I started working 30+ hour weeks at 17, and from then until now I've done whatever I could to do the best job I can and be the most efficient employee possible as a matter of pride. I've consistently noticed that I made more effort than pretty much anyone else I ever worked with.

I don't see the GPA rising a whole lot; I work hard, but I'm newly married and there's only so much time I'll miss out with my wife for the sake of a slightly higher class rank and GPA.

So my questions are this; as a dedicated, punctual, self-motivated and personable candidate, will these overcome being 20/54? Does the school I come from impact what people think of in regards to a class rank?

I'm just getting nervous the more I work myself up about the discrepancy between graduates and previous unplaced students and the number of spots. Can I assume at all that the huge majority of people not getting a spot had much lower GPAs or were much farther down in class rank?

Does this stuff even matter a whole lot?

I always read that the 4th year clerkships are, in essence, a long interview. I don't really understand how exactly we get clerkships, and how much GPA, etc impact that.

I know this post rambled a bit, so for anyone that responds, let me thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and understand me.

Members don't see this ad.

At a certain point the two or three places you have up on a classmate makes little difference. If you're in the top half of your class you should be mostly alright. Sure, you will be excluded from the high and mighty programs that only take top 10%, but those may not be for you, anyway. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be reaching for the stars, but you also seem to know where you stand.

That all being said, you have to realize that there are some that are left out for very specific reasons. Did you or will you pass your boards?

When you are on your clerkships/externships, do what you already seem to be doing. Go the extra mile to show that you're there to learn, perform and achieve. Just because you don't know something, doesn't mean you are worse off for it necessarily, but if you don't go the extra mile and learn about it, the next time you're asked (which you will be), you should knock their socks off. Know when to speak, when to shut up and when to just show up and show them what you can do (did you practice suturing on all those pig's feet?). This still serves me well, even to this day.

When interview time comes around, know what you know and know what you don't. If you have to say "I don't know" here and there, it won't end you, but trying to BS your way through certainly will. Be courteous, dress well, be on time, and DON'T get sloshed during the social event.

Be humble about who you are and what you do. Always. People notice. Never forget that someone will always be better, but when you're there, be stellar anyway. Keep in mind that better can be the enemy of good. Someone reminds me of that often and it keeps me sharp. Lastly, Think Differently. One of my closest and most trusted mentors tells me that a lot, too. And you know what? He's right every time.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Cherish your spouse. Always. If you can stick through all the crap you will face, and face it together, life will be grand. Trust me on that one.

Best of luck:D.

As was mentioned, your rank might exclude you from a few clerkships at "elite" programs, but from there on out, once you start clerkships, it's up to you. Show up early, work hard, and be interested... things will fall into place :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the minimum rank you need to get your foot in the door as an extern at some of the elite programs? If you are involved in research and you're going to be publishing a paper does that give you a boost as well?

Some of the "elite" program have a strict class rank requirement. They don't care about anything else.The best way to get this information is to ask the current residents at that program.

I was not asked for my class rank on the externship application. And I didn't put it on my CV.

Just a tip to Ankle Breaker and any other Scholl students: make sure you specifically request that the registrar include your GPA and class rank on your transcript because they will not otherwise!

You need to specifically ask for class rank on your transcripts at DMU. I don't see the point in putting it if you are not in the top 1/3 to 1/4.

Well, a mid-ranked student would want to submit his stats to establish he's not at the bottom of his class...

A 3.5 GPA might be top 1/3 at some schools and middle of the pack at others.

That's the point of having class rank along with GPA. Not all GPA's are created equal.

Obviously, depending on your specific situation, you might want to emphasize one or the other.

A 3.5 GPA might be top 1/3 at some schools and middle of the pack at others.

That's the point of having class rank along with GPA. Not all GPA's are created equal.

Obviously, depending on your specific situation, you might want to emphasize one or the other.

This is a point that is discussed when reviewing an applicant's file. Trust me.