Quality vs Quantitiy of Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Runderwoman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding on weather or not to go on a few far interviews (>$1000).

I have had 6 interviews so far, and 2 have indicated their interest in me. Can I believe this? How do I know they aren't telling everyone this? If I went on the far interviews it would be mostly for peace of mind, and for getting my numbers up. I would probably rank the programs lower, for geographical reasons.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have average scores, good grades, good amount of feild-related research. The 2 programs that expressed their interest (one emailed me afterwards, and one verbally on interview day) are not as competitive, but fill every year.

One of the programs I have auditioned, and come back to spend extra time with the residents. Everyone knows I want to be there. The PD said that I would be "very high" on their list....

Well...you should consider taking a look at the Charting Outcomes 2014 document and put yourself on the chart relevant for your specialty. If you're an AMG going for Derm, going from 6 to 8 ranks increases your likelihood of matching by 20-25%, the same increase in 2 programs if you're an AMG going for IM or FM changes your likelihood of matching from 95 to 97%. If you're an IMG the starting chances are lower but the boost for those 2 programs are higher (10-15% increase for both IM and FM).

Reactions: 1 user
I have average scores, good grades, good amount of feild-related research. The 2 programs that expressed their interest (one emailed me afterwards, and one verbally on interview day) are not as competitive, but fill every year.

One of the programs I have auditioned, and come back to spend extra time with the residents. Everyone knows I want to be there. The PD said that I would be "very high" on their list....
Do not in any way let that kind of stuff change your rank list or influence the # of programs you decide to interview at or rank. That's how people wind up unmatched.

Reactions: 1 users
Do not in any way let that kind of stuff change your rank list or influence the # of programs you decide to interview at or rank. That's how people wind up unmatched.

Thank you, that was ultimately the question I was trying to answer. I have seen charting the outcomes...and was wondering if the fact that I have confidence in these 2 programs should change the number of interviews. I have been on interviews where I feel that I am just another face in the crowd, and interviews where I feel like they really want me. So i was trying to gauge it that way...but it sounds like your final answer is "quality" does not matter...

Thank you, that was ultimately the question I was trying to answer. I have seen charting the outcomes...and was wondering if the fact that I have confidence in these 2 programs should change the number of interviews. I have been on interviews where I feel that I am just another face in the crowd, and interviews where I feel like they really want me. So i was trying to gauge it that way...but it sounds like your final answer is "quality" does not matter...
I'm not saying that quality doesn't matter, just that your perception of "quality" is likely inaccurate.

Sigh.

I shouldn't have to search through your post history to get the story.

You are a DO, with a 196 on USMLE step one.

Even though you are applying to a less competitive field, I would absolutely advise you to maximize your interviews.

Do not base your future on vague statements from program directors.

Im not sure if you are being rude or not, but that is not the full story. I have brought my Step 2 up to a 243. I was going through a lot of personal issues during the time I took step 1.

Seriously, if you got a 196, youre not helping yourself by saying to an anonymous forum that you have averages scores when in fact you don't. People here dont care what score you got, but if you misrepresent your score by saying its average, you will end up getting the wrong advice. That being said, I have nothing else to add you gotta maximize interviews.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm trying to give you advice, and for some reason it's like pulling teeth. You posted a vague question without your field, your background, or your numbers.

The Step 2 definitely helps, but it will not completely cause programs to ignore your step 1.

Look at charting outcomes in the match. Independent applicants with 6-8 interviews have about a 2/3 chance of matching. Independent applicants with 10 or more interviews...a 80-90% chance.

For applicants with your step 1 score - a 1/3 chance of matching.

You are the definition of an applicant who needs to maximize their number of interviews.

My scores have never been brought up on any interviews, so I guess I just didnt think about it. My apologies...I am not trying to be vague. But my question was basically how much weight can you put into what a PD says? So it was meant to be a general question to begin with...

sorry for any confusion

You cannot put any weight into what a PD says, unless he blatantly tells you "you aren't going to match here". There are enough stories of people getting burned by the PD who "told me I was being ranked to match!"

If you are at all concerned about matching (especially with your stats, thx to SouthernIM for pulling them out as they help us on SDN give OP actual advice instead of random conjecture) like you seem to be, then suck it up and go on the interview. An extra 2-5 grand is worth an increased chance of matching in the long run.

I'm not going to go through your post history, but what field are you applying for? All I know about you for now is the following:
- 196 Step 1 (I don't care what your reason for a 196 Step 1 is, but the fact you have one is painful enough as is),
- 243 Step 2 (good job on recovering, although again, it matters what field you're going into whether they will care or not. IM? Great. Psych or something? I don't know how much emphasis they put on Step 2).
- DO (so you fall into the 'independent applicant' category on charting the outcomes, although I imagine your chances will be slightly greater than what that document states as independent applicants includes IMGs/FMGs)

That's literally all we know about you; give us what specialty you're applying for (although SouthernIM may know given the numbers he was giving you). In short, go on the interviews.

I am going to stop posting on this thread. I basically wanted to know how much weight you can put into a PD's statement. I meant for it to be general, I didnt mean fo this to be centered around me and my situation. I messed up by initially posting personal information from the get-go, my bad!

I appreciate everyones input/help!

frankly whether you go on the interviews has nothing to do on whether the PD think you are the best thing since sliced bread….you have a bad step I, a decent step II, and are a DO…you need as many interviews as you can get regardless of "quality"…unless of course you would rather not match there…but the cost of reapplying to the match next year will be much more than spending a grand or 2 on more interviews.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm trying to give you advice, and for some reason it's like pulling teeth. You posted a vague question without your field, your background, or your numbers.

The Step 2 definitely helps, but it will not completely cause programs to ignore your step 1.

Look at charting outcomes in the match. Independent applicants with 6-8 interviews have about a 2/3 chance of matching. Independent applicants with 10 or more interviews...a 80-90% chance.

For applicants with your step 1 score - a 1/3 chance of matching.

You are the definition of an applicant who needs to maximize their number of interviews.

To be fair she is a DO applying to PM&R, where DOs tend to fare much better compared to other "independent applicants" like Caribbean MDs and FMGs. Her chances are likely higher than those stats.

With that said I agree with the general responses here. It's not a good idea to take what the PDs tell you at face value.

Last edited:
To be fair she is a DO applying to PM&R, where DOs tend to fare much better compared to other "independent applicants" like Caribbean MDs and FMGs. Her chances are likely higher than those stats.

With that said I agree with the general responses here. It's not a good idea to take what the PDs tell you at face value.

PM&R is becoming more competitive year after year due to it's solid lifestyle.

Per Charting the outcomes 2014:
6 interviews as an independent applicant - 55% chance of matching (OP is likely higher than this since this # includes IMGs)
8-9 interviews as an independent applicant - 70 - 75% chance of matching

7/23 independent applicants with Step 1 191-200 matched.
Conversely, 14/17 independent applicants with Step 2 240-250 matched (this is good)

Not trying to scare or frustrate you OP, just recommending that you go on as many interviews as possible, cost essentially be damned.