Quantifying Research Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yawkeyway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding research time, Neuronix gave the guideline:

"Research Experience -- Excellent 4+ years, Ok 2+"

How does one factor, for instance, a NIH postbac year into this? By the time you apply for MSTP, you will have hardly started at the NIH!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go by the time you have already completed and not what you have planned in the future. You could, of course, state your intentions about the NIH postbac.

I would go by the time you have already completed and not what you have planned in the future. You could, of course, state your intentions about the NIH postbac.

:thumbup:

Pretty much. The proof is in the pudding, and when screeners are reading apps they don't care that much about trying to predict what the pudding might taste like in the future. If your research experience is skimpy without the addition of that NIH post-bac year, then I would recommend waiting a year to apply. If it's not skimpy, then you don't have anything to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it depends how much experience and what letters you already have. If this is your first research experience, you will need to take another year out. If you already have 2 years and good letters, you should apply even though you won't be far into your NIH experience.

Thanks guys. When I begin the postbac year I will already have 2 full years + 2 summers under my belt. I was trying to figure out how it would count within the guidelines for admissions chances/school selection/etc...

Thanks guys. When I begin the postbac year I will already have 2 full years + 2 summers under my belt. I was trying to figure out how it would count within the guidelines for admissions chances/school selection/etc...

It's going to depend on the rest of your app. If your GPA and MCAT are excellent category and you are a US citizen, shoot for top-20.