About the ads

Quantifying Research Time

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by yawkeyway, Apr 18, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. yawkeyway

yawkeyway

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Regarding research time, Neuronix gave the guideline:

"Research Experience -- Excellent 4+ years, Ok 2+"

How does one factor, for instance, a NIH postbac year into this? By the time you apply for MSTP, you will have hardly started at the NIH!
  2. StoicJosher

StoicJosher Reality?? Check. Lifetime Donor

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would go by the time you have already completed and not what you have planned in the future. You could, of course, state your intentions about the NIH postbac.
  3. delirium81

delirium81

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    :thumbup:

Pretty much. The proof is in the pudding, and when screeners are reading apps they don't care that much about trying to predict what the pudding might taste like in the future. If your research experience is skimpy without the addition of that NIH post-bac year, then I would recommend waiting a year to apply. If it's not skimpy, then you don't have anything to worry about.
  4. Neuronix

Neuronix Super Corgi Away! Administrator SDN Senior Moderator SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician PhD SDN 10+ Year Member
    I would say it depends how much experience and what letters you already have. If this is your first research experience, you will need to take another year out. If you already have 2 years and good letters, you should apply even though you won't be far into your NIH experience.
  5. yawkeyway

yawkeyway

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks guys. When I begin the postbac year I will already have 2 full years + 2 summers under my belt. I was trying to figure out how it would count within the guidelines for admissions chances/school selection/etc...
  6. Neuronix

Neuronix Super Corgi Away! Administrator SDN Senior Moderator SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician PhD SDN 10+ Year Member
    It's going to depend on the rest of your app. If your GPA and MCAT are excellent category and you are a US citizen, shoot for top-20.