Question about a procedure thats I will be having

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfmontpoker

I hate chemistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, im still a pre-dent (I envy all of you dental students!). Anyways, I still have my baby canines, and one of my adult canines grew anteriorly and the other posteriorly (Behind my baby canine). Well im going to a Cosmetic/general dentist to get them removed and have veneers or crowns put on my baby canines... Is it possible to get these adult canines cut out and have this done?? Im just trying to get some ideas and/or comments... (Sorry if some of the terminology is wrong, im just used to alot of undergrad biology classes :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad.

we're not dentists yet and haven't examined you so do whatever your dentist recommends, but for situations like this i believe what is usually done is the baby canine would be removed and the adult canine brought into correct position via orthodontic treatment. if the adult tooth is available, you usually would rather keep that one since it is much stronger than baby teeth.

Biogirl361 said:
we're not dentists yet and haven't examined you so do whatever your dentist recommends, but for situations like this i believe what is usually done is the baby canine would be removed and the adult canine brought into correct position via orthodontic treatment. if the adult tooth is available, you usually would rather keep that one since it is much stronger than baby teeth.
the thing is though i do not want to go through the time required for orthodontic treatment.... my baby teeth have been in place now for almost 7 years, i believe they are in place quite well. I know you guys arent dentists, and i havent yet went to the dentist to get the consultation... I just want some advice or comments on what u guys think before i go... thanx!

Members don't see this ad :)
golfmontpoker said:
Alright guys, im still a pre-dent (I envy all of you dental students!). Anyways, I still have my baby canines, and one of my adult canines grew anteriorly and the other posteriorly (Behind my baby canine). Well im going to a Cosmetic/general dentist to get them removed and have veneers or crowns put on my baby canines... Is it possible to get these adult canines cut out and have this done?? Im just trying to get some ideas and/or comments... (Sorry if some of the terminology is wrong, im just used to alot of undergrad biology classes :laugh: )

Not a dentist, not even in dental school, but pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

I totally agree w/ biogirl216. Infact that is really strange that a dentist has not already removed your remaining primary teeth. I had the same thing, however still, ALL 13 of the teeth this happened with in my mouth, were pulled by the age of 10. How long has it been since you've been to a dentist!

Had you had them removed earlier, perhaps your perminant cuspids would have moved down, and they still could, depending on how mature you are in your growth.

I'm pretty sure they are going to pull a primary before a perminant tooth. You could probably have one of those orthodontist wantabe dentists who do cosmetic braces bring those two teeth down pretty easy and I don't know for sure, but it might not cost much more than having vineers done.

SDN isn't a forum for patient advice. Your treating dentist/s will be in the best position to address any concerns you have, so don't be shy asking any questions you have about your planned treatment. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.