Question about a toilet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

In Berkeley Review physics book 1, in the first practice exam, the seventh passage is about the workings of a toilet. The first question asks,
"What is true of a functioning siphon during operation..."They give three different responses about water flowing from one end of a tube to another.
I thought that pressure flows from high to low, so that, due to Bernoulli's equation, a point of lower height in a tube would have a higher pressure, and a point of higher height in a tube would have lower pressure. Therefore, water would flow from low height to high height (high to low pressure).

In their answer, they say "In order to have water flow from the intake end to the output end, there must be a net pressure difference, where the gauge pressure is greater at the output end."
If the output end has greater pressure, why would the water flow from low to high pressure? I thought it would flow high to low pressure. Isn't this saying water would flow from low to high pressure?

Statement I of the answer choices says that The intake end must be at a lower height than the output end. Therefore, wouldn't the intake have a higher pressure than the output, and thus water would flow from intake to output? I thought this would be correct.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a bottle of water, open the cap and turn it upside down. There you have water flowing from low pressure to high pressure!

You should re-visit Bernoulli's equation. I am pretty sure that the highest point of a water column has lower pressure than the lowest does.