question about "Academic Requirements" for Tufts! Please help me ASAP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalgurl11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, i have an interview coming up with Tufts and i was browsing through the interview feedback section of this website to prepare ... and i saw that someone has mentioned that Tufts are very strict on these academic requirements and will not accept people if they did not finish their pre-req.

This is their academic requirements

................................................................................................

Academic Requirements:

• 2 semesters or 3 quarters(8 credits) Biology
  • 2 semesters or 3 quarters (8 credits) Inorganic Chemistry
  • 2 semesters or 3 quarters (8 credits) Physics
  • 1 semester or 2 quarters (4 credits) Organic Chemistry
  • 1 semester or 1 quarter (3 credits) Biochemistry
  • 1 semester or 2 quarters (4 credits) writing-intensive Humanities or Social Science course (may include History, English, Comparative Literature, Philosophy, Government or Women's Studies)
Please note: Labs are required for all science courses, except Biochemistry, where applicable (lab only required for Biochemistry if it is a required part of the course at the university at which it is completed). """All pre-requisite coursework must be completed at an accredited 4 year college/university. Community college coursework is not accepted.""""

http://dental.tufts.edu/1176295338385/TUSDM-Page-dental2w_1186496760237.html

....................................................................................................

So Here is my situation!
As the last sentence stated, all the pre req must be completed at a 4 yr university, Well, i started my college career at a 2 yr ( community college) and there i took Bio 1 , and Chem 1 before transfering and finishing my BS degree in Biology in a 4 yr university...

so is that going to be a problem??!.. Can someone please give me some advice.... I am seriously freakin out about this..

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts also does not accept AP credits... so if you took some AP college courses in highschool and had recieved the college credit.. they will want you to retake it ..... this is not my case, but just wanted to share this also

i didn't take inorganic chemstry.....well...ah well

Members don't see this ad :)
At the Tufts interview, they will give you a personalized sheet listing the prerequisites you still need to take. I don't know if they will accept your classes - either call Tufts or wait until your interview to find out. Worst case scenario: you have to retake bio 1 and chem 1 this spring at your college. Those classes will be much easier the 2nd time than the 1st time.

Tufts is pretty strict about their requirements. You must meet the requirements for your DAT scores and your coursework. When I interviewed four years ago, I had taken Bio1 at a community college, they made an exception for me. Granted I took plenty of upper level biology courses so I'm not sure if that compensated or what. Better give Tufts a call. If anything, you'll just have to retake it prior to matriculation.

I had AP credit for physics I, and they seemed pretty dead set on making me retake the class.

I'm on the same boat as the OP! i also have an interview w/ them this comming week...

i took chem 1 and bio 1 at a community college b/4 trasfering to a 4 yr college..

has this happened to ne one else?.... ARE they really going to make me go back to take those two courses when i have taken many many higher level science courses............y would they invite me for an interview if i didnt meet their basic requirement then?...

please, if any current Tufts students know anythhing about this.. please share

If they've already invited you for the interview, wouldn't they have vetted all of your classes already? I don't think they'd reject you after having interviewed you just because of one CC class. But, they are really strict on this - here's hoping your interview goes well! Good luck!

I hope thats the case... it would b a hardbreaker if they tell me i got to re-take bio 1 and chem 1 ........ that just put people that started at a 2 yr college in a bad position... What else did they expect you to take during your first 2 yrs?.. and expect you to re-take it once you go to a 4 yr schooL?

I recently had an interview there and I agree with tinman! Someone during my interview had AP credits, and even though she was interviewed, they told her that if she gets accepted she has to retake those classes at her four year school. They are pretty strict about this rule unless if you have taken many upper division classes in that subject in which you can assure them that you are capable of doing well in that subject at a four year school. Good luck!