question about admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailToTheThielf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! I am currently applying to a couple of podiatric medical schools in the US. My problem is that my stats are rather low. I have a 2.5 GPA and a 25 MCAT. Does anyone have any advice on applying to podiatric school. Do I need to raise my GPA? Does anyone now about the average stats of accepted students? Thanks alot everyone, this site is very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

HailToTheThielf said:
hi! I am currently applying to a couple of podiatric medical schools in the US. My problem is that my stats are rather low. I have a 2.5 GPA and a 25 MCAT. Does anyone have any advice on applying to podiatric school. Do I need to raise my GPA? Does anyone now about the average stats of accepted students? Thanks alot everyone, this site is very helpful!

I'm not sure about other schools but I found these stats on the class of 2008 at Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine:

Overall Grade Point Average: 3.32
Science Grade Point Average: 3.16
Verbal Reasoning: 7.5
Physical Sciences: 7.6
Biological Sciences: 7.7

Hope that helps. Good luck :)

HailToTheThielf said:

Hello,

If you don't mind attending either the Temple, OCPM, or California, consider taking the GRE and GRE Subject Test instead of using your MCAT scores. This way you can focus on your strongest science instead of taking physics, chem, and biology like the MCAT. The regular GRE is just like the SAT's. Even so, I would still contact the admissions offices and ask them if your MCAT scores are competitive enough. Honestly, 2.5 is kind of borderline but since Podiatry is still not that popular and the applicant pool is not that high, you will probably still get an interview and still have a good chance at matriculation. Then just nail the interview and let them know how serious you are about the field and that you are a determined individual. I think this is a tremendous opportunity for those that might not have a strong GPA or MCAT scores because the fact is...Podiatry is not as popular of a field than say Medical but still has all the prestige as any other medical field. Go for it and good luck!

The 25 MCAT is a great score for podiatry. I wouldn't bother taking the GRE. Your MCAT will probably be among the higher scores. However, the 2.5 GPA is definitely on the low side and I would imagine it becoming the topic of conversation at the interview.

Perhaps you could contact the schools you are interested in and ask to speak with an admissions counselor regarding your stats and likelihood of admission.