Question about AMACS information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekman55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I should go ahead and start an AMACS account and enter all my coursework if I'm not applying this cycle? If I do this, will it allow me to see if a med school or AMACS is going to accept my courses towards my prereqs? For instance, if I signup now can I have them tell me if my engineering writing class and community college english class that I took in high school will count towards my 2 english classes?

Here's my tentative schedule:
Spring 2015 - take 1 bio, 1 organic chem class
Summer 2015 - depends what is offered...though I may take this summer off completely so I can study for MCAT. Studying for MCAT sounds like the best option.
Fall 2015 - take 2nd bio and 2nd organic chem class
Fall 2015- apply for med schools
Spring 2016 - Take extra classes??? Not sure if this is worth it or if I should just wait until August to start med school.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if I should go ahead and start an AMACS account and enter all my coursework if I'm not applying this cycle? If I do this, will it allow me to see if a med school or AMACS is going to accept my courses towards my prereqs? For instance, if I signup now can I have them tell me if my engineering writing class and community college english class that I took in high school will count towards my 2 english classes?

Here's my tentative schedule:
Spring 2015 - take 1 bio, 1 organic chem class
Summer 2015 - depends what is offered...though I may possible take this summer off completely so I can study for MCAT.
Fall 2015 - take 2nd bio and 2nd organic chem class
Fall 2015- apply for med schools

Any thoughts?

No, you can't do this and it wouldn't serve your purpose anyway. You could create an account to take a look at what the application looks like (not worth it, IMO, when you can just look at their instruction manual). If you submit, though, that counts as applying if you get verified and would probably make you a reapplicant when you really apply (bad). However, more directly to your question, AMCAS does not make the call on whether or not your courses are acceptable as prereqs. ALL they do is verify that you have legitimate transcripts for the coursework that you report and that your grades are accurate. It is up to each medical school's individual discretion whether or not they will accept a given course as a prereq. You have to ask the individual schools you are interested in.

Thanks, I will contact schools directly to see if they will count. Won't I need to signup through AMCAS to do my MCAT? Once I think I have a decent MCAT, then I will enter all the grades and apply to school so that I am considered a first-time applicant?

Thanks, I will contact schools directly to see if they will count. Won't I need to signup through AMCAS to do my MCAT? Once I think I have a decent MCAT, then I will enter all the grades and apply to school so that I am considered a first-time applicant?

This is basically how it goes.

You get an AAMC ID with the MCAT.

That ID will be how you sign into AMCAS. Every year the website is different and it does not roll over to the new application for the new year unless you already applied.