Question about another school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sky2012

hope2012
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Can I go to another pre health adviser from another school or it must be from my school??
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Can I go to another pre health adviser from another school or it must be from my school??
Thank you :)

I didn't understand your reasoning before, but the poster below me has provided excellent advice. So I have edited my post.

In my experience, good pre-health advisors are hard to come by, and there should be more that actually know what they are talking about. It's just a fact of the matter. The pre-health advisors at my undergraduate institution were some of the most unhelpful/incompetent individuals I have ever met. I talked with them once, and after they said that I wouldn't even be a good candidate for Caribbean medical schools, I walked out of there and never returned. Others here on SDN have voiced similar interactions, so clearly there is a problem there. I hope you are able to find someone to help you!

I couldn't agree more with what milosavlijevic has stated below.

Last edited:
I don't think the school I went to offered committee letters, but here is what I did.

First I read about finding an advisor on the NAAHP website:

http://www.naahp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=3238

You can email Kristen Peterson ([email protected]) with a detailed explanation as to why you are seeking an advisor from another school.

I did this because my school's academic counselors repeatedly told me that I'll never make it into D.O. school because I did not do well as an undergrad. I was frustrated that they weren't giving me any other direction besides the fact that "you failed at life" (in their eyes). After I graduated, they told me they no longer offer walk-in or appointments for alumni due to "budget cuts". All of this led me to the NAAHP website.

This program can put you in touch with a volunteer advisor who might be more willing (or better qualified) to give you guidance. At the very least, it might give you a new perspective on things that your current advisor might not have mentioned. I have found that you might get very different answers from advisors, but even just one suggestion or connection might make the difference between you knowing about certain options or not.

I also got in my car and drove to another 4-year institution (this time at a private school...smaller crowds) to seek out another academic counselor I had contacted. Do whatever it takes to find the resources you need to succeed.

Hope this helps.

I don't think the school I went to offered committee letters, but here is what I did.

First I read about finding an advisor on the NAAHP website:

http://www.naahp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=3238

You can email Kristen Peterson ([email protected]) with a detailed explanation as to why you are seeking an advisor from another school.

I did this because my school's academic counselors repeatedly told me that I'll never make it into D.O. school because I did not do well as an undergrad. I was frustrated that they weren't giving me any other direction besides the fact that "you failed at life" (in their eyes). After I graduated, they told me they no longer offer walk-in or appointments for alumni due to "budget cuts". All of this led me to the NAAHP website.

This program can put you in touch with a volunteer advisor who might be more willing (or better qualified) to give you guidance. At the very least, it might give you a new perspective on things that your current advisor might not have mentioned. I have found that you might get very different answers from advisors, but even just one suggestion or connection might make the difference between you knowing about certain options or not.

I also got in my car and drove to another 4-year institution (this time at a private school...smaller crowds) to seek out another academic counselor I had contacted. Do whatever it takes to find the resources you need to succeed.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much