Question about being economically disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just have a question regarding this. Growing up, my parents worked minimum wage til middle of my college career (Around 40k~ combined income with 4 dependent kids). I remember being in tons of government aids growing up. There were hardships by I will spare the details. Anyways, things lighten up a bit and my dad got really good job and their combined income now is around (70k~).

Also, I graduated 2 years ago and currently working as a clinical microbiologist and make around (65k~). Should I still list myself as economically disadvantage or I can't? ...

My ethnicity is considered URM to some schools but I want to increase my chances to all. Applying preferably MD but not against DO.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally this question asks about circumstances before the age of 18, so I think you're okay if you want to claim disadvantage.

You will be considered SES disadvantaged (possibly) esp depending on your parent's education level. I think you can claim economic disadvantage and I vaguely remember something about it needing to be a time period that was half of your life...

Note: lived in poverty and since my father had a college degree (though not part of my life until a few years ago), AMCAS did not designate me as SES disadvantaged... I thought the parent/siblings section was for demographics, not to determine SES

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I just have a question regarding this. Growing up, my parents worked minimum wage til middle of my college career (Around 40k~ combined income with 4 dependent kids). I remember being in tons of government aids growing up. There were hardships by I will spare the details. Anyways, things lighten up a bit and my dad got really good job and their combined income now is around (70k~).

Also, I graduated 2 years ago and currently working as a clinical microbiologist and make around (65k~). Should I still list myself as economically disadvantage or I can't? ...

My ethnicity is considered URM to some schools but I want to increase my chances to all. Applying preferably MD but not against DO.

Thoughts?
Yes, you would count as disadvantaged. Your life up to age 18 put you into unique challenges that others do not have to face.

And no school would ever question it, especially since you used government programs created for low income individuals.

Thanks for the replies! :D