question about biochem requirements - UCLA specific

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bringindafunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finished my degree at UCLA, and like so many other premeds I majored in psychobiology. Because it wasn't required, I never took biochem at UCLA. Now that I am applying to medical school I was wondering what is sufficient at UCLA to fulfill the biochem requirement because the extension is offering 153c, so I'd just assume buckle down and start there. But then I wondered if a school requires biochem, would they want the whole series? Anyone want to help me out with this? Plus... is the lab required or recommended?

Members don't see this ad.

So I finished my degree at UCLA, and like so many other premeds I majored in psychobiology. Because it wasn't required, I never took biochem at UCLA. Now that I am applying to medical school I was wondering what is sufficient at UCLA to fulfill the biochem requirement because the extension is offering 153c, so I'd just assume buckle down and start there. But then I wondered if a school requires biochem, would they want the whole series? Anyone want to help me out with this? Plus... is the lab required or recommended?

No, generally you only need one quarter of biochem and the lab is not required. I hope it helps!

153A would definitely be the class, and like Funkmonk said the lab probably isn't necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have something in common, i hate premeds too haha. which is why i feel i go through this period in my life every 2 weeks debating if i can tolerate the hyper competitive *******s without social grace as my colleagues for the rest of my life. anyway, thanks bruins for the responses

biochem was definately not required for 90% of schools. I do recall 1-2 asking for biochem during my app. I would not take 153C, isnt 153a/b req for c?

either way 153a wasnt that bad. i was worried because i felt a bit pampered as a psychobio major and would get reamed in a predominantly pre-med class. overall i did well and was glad i took it.

biochem was definately not required for 90% of schools. I do recall 1-2 asking for biochem during my app. I would not take 153C, isnt 153a/b req for c?

either way 153a wasnt that bad. i was worried because i felt a bit pampered as a psychobio major and would get reamed in a predominantly pre-med class. overall i did well and was glad i took it.

Hi thanks for your perspective. I was just wondering, who was your professor when you took 153a? Did you take it through UCLA Extension?
Thank you!