Question about Bond Dissociation Energy and Enthalpy of Formation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravupadh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So correct me if I'm wrong but a high bond dissociation energy and a large negative enthalpy of formation means that a strong bond has been formed? I've always been confused but why do molecules and their bonds want to be at the lowest energy state in the first place? Doesn't the universe want to expand its entropy? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So correct me if I'm wrong but a high bond dissociation energy and a large negative enthalpy of formation means that a strong bond has been formed? I've always been confused but why do molecules and their bonds want to be at the lowest energy state in the first place? Doesn't the universe want to expand its entropy? Thanks.

You're right. High bond dissociation energy and a large negative enthalpy are indicative of a strong bond.

I usually think of the leanard jones potential energy graph. Most bonds want to be at the lowest energy state because that is simply the most stable state. There is simply little tendency for the atoms to want to react and form new bonds. So the lower the energy, the more stable the atoms are and the stronger the bonds( most things want to come to stability. i.e. nuclear fission/fusion).