Question about consumer reporting pharmacist to the board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantabile210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about cases of consumers reporting pharmacists to the board of pharmacy. I know that in my state anyone for any reason can report a pharmacist to the board, but when are such reports taken seriously? I'm not talking about serious cases like dispensing wrong drugs or actually doing anything illegal, but cases like the patient reporting a pharmacist to the board for poor customer service and claiming they are not worth being pharmacists and endanger the public by being callous or not giving out controlled substance information over the phone? Couldn't the patient just make things up and blow things out of proportion to cause drama for the pharmacist and the board would be forced to investigate? And what if such drama, even if made up, causes real issues for the pharmacist like being fired? When should one be scared for board retaliation?

Members don't see this ad.

When i was in pharmacy school, a state board member was invited to my school as a guest speaker. He said a lot of people called state board and complained about poor customer service, for example: they had to wait 20 minutes at the drive through. The board member said he straight up told that person to not call him about this matter again. They just don't handle these kind of complaints.

Reactions: 1 user
The state board doesn't deal with customer service issues. However, a lot of states require the board investigates any complaint. I know of a clinic which had a complaint made against them because a patient wanted to see the physician at a time he didn't have hours. They came in and talked with the clinic staff. The inspector more or less thought this was a waste of his time but by law they have to investigate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a customer threaten me they'll call the Board to take my license away because I am "unprofessional" for not reopening the pharmacy after we are closed so she gets her medicine.Mmm alright.

When i was in pharmacy school, a state board member was invited to my school as a guest speaker. He said a lot of people called state board and complained about poor customer service, for example: they had to wait 20 minutes at the drive through. The board member said he straight up told that person to not call him about this matter again. They just don't handle these kind of complaints.

I can think of a situation where this might be warranted, and it's the pharmacist (and I have worked with several over the years) who openly treated Medicaid patients poorly, doing things like making them wait an hour for their prescriptions even if we weren't busy, that kind of thing. :mad: This was something I did not allow in my presence, and I was censured more than once for not going along with it.

i had 2 consumer reports by the same consumer. that person claimed i miscounted 2 controlled substances. that consumer was consumed and ignored. the board sent me a letter of education, but will not put on records.