Question about DAT retake and application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlynguyen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm planning to submit my application this week and I got a 18/19/20 (AA/TS/PAT) on my DAT. I was thinking of retaking the DAT in September. If I indicate on my application that I am planning to retake it, will schools not review my application until the second scores are in? Would that make my application late? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If they believe you are still competitive enough with your original scores, they may go ahead and send you an invitation to interview without waiting for your new scores to arrive. It all depends on the school though, some may go ahead and reject you (without waiting for your second set of scores), or some may wait to see your new scores. I would at least try to call each school and hear what they say. What is your exact breakdown of each section?

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm planning to submit my application this week and I got a 18/19/20 (AA/TS/PAT) on my DAT. I was thinking of retaking the DAT in September. If I indicate on my application that I am planning to retake it, will schools not review my application until the second scores are in? Would that make my application late? Thanks for your help!
They'll review your app, but won't make any final decisions. Taking the DAT in Sep is somewhat late, and I don't think you need to retake. Your scores are good enough (Unless you have scored 17 or below in any individual section).

Members don't see this ad :)
If they believe you are still competitive enough with your original scores, they may go ahead and send you an invitation to interview without waiting for your new scores to arrive. It all depends on the school though, some may go ahead and reject you (without waiting for your second set of scores), or some may wait to see your new scores. I would at least try to call each school and hear what they say. What is your exact breakdown of each section?

See, that's the thing. I got a 15 in QR. :confused: So I don't know what's the better option - to stick with these scores and hope for the best or retake and make my application late? Here's the complete breakdown of scores:

Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 18
QR: 15
RC: 21
PAT: 20
TS: 19
AA: 18

I think September is kind of late to take it, I've heard horror stories where people take the DAT late and dental schools don't see those scores until wayy later. Your scores seem pretty good to me, with the exception of QR of course (but it is the least important section). If I were you I would take my chances and just apply, you still would be considered an early applicant

I think September is kind of late to take it, I've heard horror stories where people take the DAT late and dental schools don't see those scores until wayy later. Your scores seem pretty good to me, with the exception of QR of course (but it is the least important section). If I were you I would take my chances and just apply, you still would be considered an early applicant

Ya someone on here had a horror story just recently. Those scores seem fine but some schools will not consider you if you have less than a certain score in each section and this is how your QR will most directly bring you down.

Ya someone on here had a horror story just recently. Those scores seem fine but some schools will not consider you if you have less than a certain score in each section and this is how your QR will most directly bring you down.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stick with my scores and hope for the best! Thanks everyone for the advice. Wish me luck! :xf:

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stick with my scores and hope for the best! Thanks everyone for the advice. Wish me luck! :xf:
If you believe you can do better, re-take. Hoping for the best may cost you another year. If you stick with September, it's not late. Your application will be ready and only wait for the new score. Some schools have a cut-off of 16. Your scores are good for some but OK for others depending where you apply. Good luck!