question about deferred residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CARCOSA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening!

I have read several faqs on here regarding hpsp (I swear) but have yet to come across an answer to my question. ...

If you get a civilian deferment for residency, are those years added onto you AD payback? Since technically the military is not getting any benefit (vs. A military residency), it would only seem logical that they would add on the years?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are collecting active duty pay while on the civilian residency then yes, those years will be apart of payback similar to having done the residency through the military. If however you are not collecting active duty pay and are only getting paid through the civilian program then you will only owe the military for however long your HPSP scholarship was.

Your HPSP scholarship commitment and residency commitment if done through the military do not add together. Easy way to think about it-your payback is whichever is longer.

If you did a civilian fellowship and were again paid by the military when completing the fellowship then this will further increase your AD payback.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: I did a civ residency and had the residency time count towards the total 8 years active and reserve (i owed 4 years AD). From what I hear now, the contract is slightly different and the reserve time comes after your AD time (unless you spend more time on AD).

If you do an AD residency you'll incur that length of time as ADSC but it will run concurrently with your existing commitment, whereas if you do a civilian sponsored residency the commitment you incur runs consecutive (tacks on to the end).

Makes sense! Thank You all for the information!

FYI: I did a civ residency and had the residency time count towards the total 8 years active and reserve (i owed 4 years AD). From what I hear now, the contract is slightly different and the reserve time comes after your AD time (unless you spend more time on AD).

I am fairly certain that IRR time always follows ADSO payback time, and the contract says so. There are some clueless career managers and that may explain how people have their civ residency count for reserve time.

18. I understand that the following provisions apply to the discharge of my ADO:
a. Time spent in graduate professional education (first-year graduate medical education, Advanced General Dentistry Program 1, internships, residencies, fellowships) and dur1ng participation in the military CPIP will not be creditable toward satisfying my AFHPSP ADO.
b. Time spent on active duty in graduate professional education (first year of graduate medical education, Advance General Dentistry Program 1, residencies or fellowships) is creditable toward satisfying my AFHPSP RSO. Additionally, time spent on active duty beyond my incurred active duty obligation will also count toward repayment of my AFHPSP RSO.
c. Time spent in nonmilitary graduate professional education or prior to completion of the professional degree requirementswill not be creditable toward satisfying my AFHPSP RSO.

unless WWIII happens or the sky is falling any concern about the reserve time payback after your ADSO is excessive and unwarranted and doesn't really matter in my humble opinion. I have never met someone or heard of encountering this mysterious physician who was called from the IRR status onto AD. There are plenty of AD physicians and NG physicians available to fulfill the pace that occurred during the peak of Iraq and Afghanistan and for the foreseeable decade. I think they even call back recent AD physicians who have retired or extend people before they dip into the IRR pool.
Also if it was truly concerning like everything you could likely develop some way to avoid going if you wanted. In my humble opinion, as much as I would truly hate to be called for anything during the IRR of my reserve payback time I would more than willing go and help in the WWIII or sky is falling scenario.

Reactions: 1 users