Question about elective rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know that a lot of people tend to do "audition" rotations at hospitals where they'd like to apply for residency spots. The thing is, I don't think we have elective rotations at NYCOM until our fourth year. Does that put us in a slight disadvantage? We have to apply early on during our fourth year in school, and interviews start as early as October. Does anyone think this affected their chances of getting into their top choice residency? How can one get around this? Thanks.

Michele

Members don't see this ad.

You pretty much do all of your auditions/sub-I's during your 4th year of school. And yes, app's can be submitted as early as september. So that means most people do their auditions over the summer. You want to try to schedule these as early as possible during your 3rd year because these spots can go fairly quickly. Call up the programs and ask them when they start to accept applications for externships and send yours in on time.

Good Luck,
FG

misyel said:
Hi guys,

I know that a lot of people tend to do "audition" rotations at hospitals where they'd like to apply for residency spots. The thing is, I don't think we have elective rotations at NYCOM until our fourth year. Does that put us in a slight disadvantage? We have to apply early on during our fourth year in school, and interviews start as early as October. Does anyone think this affected their chances of getting into their top choice residency? How can one get around this? Thanks.

Michele
It wont affect you at all....4th year gives you plenty of time to audition

Members don't see this ad :)
If say, you wanted to get into surgical residency, does it matter which block you decide to do your elective rotations in those hospitals? Like, if you did it over the summer, wouldn't it be a little tougher for them to remember who you were (come interview time), as opposed to someone who rotated through their hospital during the 5th or 6th block? Does it matter?

misyel said:
If say, you wanted to get into surgical residency, does it matter which block you decide to do your elective rotations in those hospitals? Like, if you did it over the summer, wouldn't it be a little tougher for them to remember who you were (come interview time), as opposed to someone who rotated through their hospital during the 5th or 6th block? Does it matter?
I think that if you kick ass they will remember no matter what...especially if you get a LOR from them

misyel said:

Not really. You have to stay in touch w/ the PD is all. Just send them emails every now and then so they don't forget how good you were and how interested you are in their program. Its all part of the "game." I rotated at my place in July, interviewed early (that way I didn't have to fly back to LA), like I'm talking mid-late July and kept in contact for quite a few months. I got lucky and it worked out Ok. Main thing is to start on your paperwork early.
Suerte,
FG

Thanks guys. I know it's still kinda early, but it's better to have the heads up. =)