Question about extra-curriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireFist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my question is very specific to myself.

I have worked 50+ hours per week while going to school either part or full time for the last 7 years. I also have a wife and child.

Because of this my extracurriculars have been my job (Paramedic, then Paramedic/Firefighter), kickboxing, union activities (but no leadership postion), and I am going to shadow this year (to try to get a DO recommendation... I have multiple MD ones.... but I want DO). That is it. I just don't feel like I have time for anything else really, not if I want a relationship with my wife and daughter.

Do you all think I should try to find more activities (if I made bunk beds, I think I might have more room for activities!:laugh:), or do you think that this matters less if I can do well on the MCAT and play up the whole work experience thing?

Let me know. Have a nice day all!:)

Members don't see this ad.

do you think that this matters less if I can do well on the MCAT and play up the whole work experience thing?

I vote for this option. Look for one or two ad hoc community volunteer opportunities, like a flood clean up or whatnot.

I did find something where I could put in an hour a week mentoring a kid at the local community center. I think I might be able to do that. Thanks for the advice.