Question about extracurricular activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheergbe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that you are not supposed to include high school activities on your application. However, I was on a competitive cheerleading team for 13 years. During my last year, senior year of HS, I was awarded a $2,000 scholarship for my leadership from the 8 owners of the entire cheerleading industry. I was on ESPN multiple times and it completely changed my life. I couldn't continue it in college because my ankles are not strong enough anymore. My question is, should I include my scholarship/cheerleading leadership on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's a college scholarship, yes technically you can and should include it. It's a really interesting activity, and I would include it. It's unfortunate about your ankles.

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't hurt, and it will give an interviewer something interesting to ask about.

I heard that you are not supposed to include high school activities on your application. However, I was on a competitive cheerleading team for 13 years. During my last year, senior year of HS, I was awarded a $2,000 scholarship for my leadership from the 8 owners of the entire cheerleading industry. I was on ESPN multiple times and it completely changed my life. I couldn't continue it in college because my ankles are not strong enough anymore. My question is, should I include my scholarship/cheerleading leadership on my application?

If you're a hot cheerleader, I bet that will score you even more points. :D. I'm being facetious.

Nothing wrong with including high school activities on the application... I was an All-American athlete and that's literally all one of my interviewers wanted to talk about for the entire interview...talk about easy.

Plot twist, male cheerleaders can be hot too. You sexist pig.
I never said male cheerleaders couldn't be hot.. In fact I actually suggested that possibility with my post :confused: Learn how to read.

Last edited:
75abb54ded798729a6088ef3fdafb5bce92e54ec9a9141adbc57bffed777b109.jpg

But did that school send you an offer?

This one did, yes. I'm not sure if it was the school's lax interview approach, but for some reason his fixation on my sport during the majority of the interview really calmed me down and allowed me to talk in a cogent, composed manner like I normally would in front of family or friends. I can't say the same for other interviewers who relentlessly bombarded me with hard questions for the entire duration.

I guess maybe he was just a good interviewer that knew how to make me feel comfortable.

This one did, yes. I'm not sure if it was the school's lax interview approach, but for some reason his fixation on my sport during the majority of the interview really calmed me down and allowed me to talk in a cogent, composed manner like I normally would in front of family or friends. I can't say the same for other interviewers who relentlessly bombarded me with hard questions for the entire duration.

I guess maybe he was just a good interviewer that knew how to make me feel comfortable.
There is a great room for improvement in the interview process as your experience shows.

Reactions: 1 user
Indeed. Always room for improvement.