Question about GPA calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateslayme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding how schools calculate GPA. I thought I heard that some schools may calculate GPA differently for study abroad courses. Does anyone know if any schools not count your study abroad courses in the GPA calculations? I did not do so great in my classes so it would help out a lot if some schools weight those courses differently.
Also, I was wondering...freshmen year I got a D in intro Psych and then retook the course for a B... are there schools that may only include the B in the GPA calculations versus the D and the B?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It always depends on the school. Always always always. For both your study abroad credit and the retake grade (some schools may take the higher of the two, Purdue averages the grades)

Do you know of any schools off the top of your head, besides Purdue, that may not look at study abroad courses/ weight retake grades differently? Is this info usually listed on their website or should I email the schools? I have researched a lot of schools and don't ever remember seeing this info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not off the top of my head, sorry =\

Your best bet is to email the school you're interested in directly. They seem to be pretty responsive - at least from what I've experienced.