Question about GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Existinghuman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Psy.D programs this coming fall and was wondering if there is a significant difference in GPA if I were to have a 3.87 vs a 3.9 for my MA when I apply to doctorate programs.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your undergrad GPA? GRE scores? Are you letters of references beaming? And what does your basic CV say about you (i.e., are you exceptional?)? If you can attest positively to the answers of all these questions, then no. The 3.87 vs 3.9 does not matter.

And not directed to you, Existinghuman, but folks should gear themselves towards being competitive for both PsyDs and PhDs...don't slack off because you think you are applying to clinically-focused doctorate in a PsyD degree. Both PsyD and PhD are looking for the best of the best, and if they aren't...consider saving your cash and going for a terminal masters (IMO).

Good Luck!:luck:

Undergrad GPA is 3.47 and GRE scores are very avg and I am going to take them over in a few months. Experience is trainee at a practicum site, research assistant for 2+ years and applying to be a court appointed special advocate. Letters of recs, I believe will be very strong!

And yes I agree completely with what you said about not slacking off even going for the Psy.D route. I do feel like the Psy.D is being awarded much more now than the Ph.D but the reasoning behind why I rather go for my Psy.D is because I rather focus more on clinical work and assessments over research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I'm convincing you to apply to PhDs (yes, I might), but more attempting to disillusion you: Any reputable PsyD program will have you do independent research/statistics...it is the *science* part of our degrees (in clinical/counseling/school PhD, PsyD)...we exclude physiology/chemistry/medicine for the most part because that is psychiatry (but all these degrees should have a course in psychopharmacology because we work so closely with medicated patients). Plus in my PhD, I focused MAINLY on clinical work and assessment...I flew by the research because I was involved heavily in clinical research for years prior to doctoral training, so it comes easy to me and I can pop out some peer-reviewed piece every year (or so) and stay in the game. Don't fear the research...it will bite you in the behind later (interviews, in future practice, or somewhere...)

You could also post on the WAMC thread.

....I will now attempt to do something more productive than SDN with my insomnia tonight. ;)

Last edited:
And yes I agree completely with what you said about not slacking off even going for the Psy.D route. I do feel like the Psy.D is being awarded much more now than the Ph.D but the reasoning behind why I rather go for my Psy.D is because I rather focus more on clinical work and assessments over research.

This myth is one of the most persistent things I have ever seen. Many PhD programs are very balanced clinical and research wise, and PhD students actually have more clinical hours on average than Psyd students when applying for internship. In my last 2 years of grad school, outside of working on my dissertation, all I did was clinical work. Outside of that, you mentioned assessment. If you mean neuropsych assessment, if you don't have a solid research background, you will have a very hard time getting a quality postdoc, as well as a problem with boarding later on.

This myth is one of the most persistent things I have ever seen. Many PhD programs are very balanced clinical and research wise, and PhD students actually have more clinical hours on average than Psyd students when applying for internship. In my last 2 years of grad school, outside of working on my dissertation, all I did was clinical work. Outside of that, you mentioned assessment. If you mean neuropsych assessment, if you don't have a solid research background, you will have a very hard time getting a quality postdoc, as well as a problem with boarding later on.
Interesting... I have not heard of that problem with the board from any of my professors and all my professors at my MA program are mostly Psy.D's but maybe the state of California looks at things a little differently hahah

Interesting... I have not heard of that problem with the board from any of my professors and all my professors at my MA program are mostly Psy.D's but maybe the state of California looks at things a little differently hahah

Yeah, California is a whole different ballgame. Just look at CAPIC. I'm pretty sure all you need to do to practice mental health in the state is to send in 2 boxtops from Lucky Charms and a Pog Slammer and they'll license you.

Yeah, California is a whole different ballgame. Just look at CAPIC. I'm pretty sure all you need to do to practice mental health in the state is to send in 2 boxtops from Lucky Charms and a Pog Slammer and they'll license you.

Not all Pog Slammers are created equal. I hear California prefers those with the Yin-Yang on them.

Not all Pog Slammers are created equal. I hear California prefers those with the Yin-Yang on them.
I'm not sure if you are referring to asian people (I'm Chinese by the way) or are you referring to something else haha.

Welppppp I guess I'm going to be one of the ones that gets licensed by sending in lucky charms and a pog slammer (whatever that means) since I am from California myself and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

But I will definitely check out CAPIC thanks!

I'm not sure if you are referring to asian people (I'm Chinese by the way) or are you referring to something else haha.
I believe he was just referring to the Yin/Yang symbol, which was popular on Pogs in the early 90's, not an inappropriate perjorative.

But I will definitely check out CAPIC thanks!
I would strongly advise against a CAPIC internship. You could run into trouble down the line in other states if you ever move out of the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe he was just referring to the Yin/Yang symbol, which was popular on Pogs in the early 90's, not an inappropriate perjorative.

I would strongly advise against a CAPIC internship. You could run into trouble down the line in other states if you ever move out of the state.
Ohhh ok I didn't know what pogs were haha until I saw the Wikipedia link thank you!

Well if I were to land an internship if I were to be accepted to a program, I was always advised to get an APA approved site. I have never heard of CAPIC but good to know!!

So my Alf pog won't suffice then? :(

Ohhh ok I didn't know what pogs were haha until I saw the Wikipedia link thank you!

Well if I were to land an internship if I were to be accepted to a program, I was always advised to get an APA approved site. I have never heard of CAPIC but good to know!!

I could be wrong, so others can feel free to correct me, but in general, it isn't possible to fully participate in both the CAPIC and APPIC matches, since receiving an offer/being matched to a site is a binding obligation. I think (although am by no means sure) it might be possible to sign up for both and potentially apply/go through interviews, but I'm fairly certain you can't actually go through the rank ordering and matching process with both organizations.

If I'm remembering my reading of the CAPIC guidelines correctly, the main differences from APA sites were that CAPIC allows half-time and unpaid internships, which APA does not. APPIC might allow half-time (I don't remember), but I think they require that interns be paid. I believe some of the specific didactic and supervision/supervisory ratios might have also been different.

If I'm remembering my reading of the CAPIC guidelines correctly, the main differences from APA sites were that CAPIC allows half-time and unpaid internships, which APA does not. APPIC might allow half-time (I don't remember), but I think they require that interns be paid. I believe some of the specific didactic and supervision/supervisory ratios might have also been different.

This is what the professors at Alliant mentioned when they discussed internships for the PhD and PsyD programs. If it weren't for the payment aspect, they said, more sites would be approved by the APA and the CA budget issue contributes to the disparity of slots/interns. The vast majority of their interns secure CAPIC placement.

If it hadn't been for this network, I may have been among them in a few years; deeply in debt, unable to save for my children's education and with an internship that is not recognized anywhere but my home state.

All those grads I interviewed? They have jobs and enjoy what they do but they uniformly have six-figure debt.

Thank goodness for the SDN :)

Last edited:
I am applying to Psy.D programs this coming fall and was wondering if there is a significant difference in GPA if I were to have a 3.87 vs a 3.9 for my MA when I apply to doctorate programs.

I am currently at a fully-funded Psy.D. program and I would say that it won't make any difference whether you have a 3.87 or 3.9. Strong personal statement, GRE scores, and letters of rec will matter more at this point. Do you know which programs you want to apply to?

I am currently at a fully-funded Psy.D. program and I would say that it won't make any difference whether you have a 3.87 or 3.9. Strong personal statement, GRE scores, and letters of rec will matter more at this point. Do you know which programs you want to apply to?
That's good to hear!!

I am applying to programs only in Southern California! such as... Pepperdine, loma Linda, la Verne, APU, alliant and USC and UCLA for Ph.D

What school are you enrolled in?

Ahh yes SoCal is nice. I hear great things about Pepperdine. I'm at Baylor!

Ahh yes SoCal is nice. I hear great things about Pepperdine. I'm at Baylor!
I'm at Pepperdine right now for the MFT program and I hope I can stay within the Pepperdine family for my Psy.D!! *fingers crossed*

I have a professor that graduated from Baylor! I've heard wonderful things about your program :) are you taking a sub specialty in your clinical psych program?

I'm at Pepperdine right now for the MFT program and I hope I can stay within the Pepperdine family for my Psy.D!! *fingers crossed*

I have a professor that graduated from Baylor! I've heard wonderful things about your program :) are you taking a sub specialty in your clinical psych program?

Baylor doesn't have specific sub speciality tracks that I'm aware of. I do love the program though…it's very balanced in terms of research and clinical work. Do you have a specific track in mind at Pepperdine?

Baylor doesn't have specific sub speciality tracks that I'm aware of. I do love the program though…it's very balanced in terms of research and clinical work. Do you have a specific track in mind at Pepperdine?
Pepperdine doesn't provide sub specialty tracks as well but I definitely want to do what I can in the future with my internship that will lead towards forensic psychology. Hopefully working with inmates at a state prison and doing assessments

This is what the professors at Alliant mentioned when they discussed internships for the PhD and PsyD programs. If it weren't for the payment aspect, they said, more sites would be approved by the APA and the CA budget issue contributes to the disparity of slots/interns. The vast majority of their interns secure CAPIC placement.

If it hadn't been for this network, I may have been among them in a few years; deeply in debt, unable to save for my children's education and with an internship that is not recognized anywhere but my home state.

All those grads I interviewed? They have jobs and enjoy what they do but they uniformly have six-figure debt.

Thank goodness for the SDN :)

Yeah, I just have a moral objection to the idea of offering unpaid internships, particularly when the worst-"offending" programs are pushing that as a solution rather than the (to me) more obvious/parsimonious/responsible choice of decreasing their incoming class sizes. Particularly when the programs often require that folks still pay tuition while on said internships, even if at a reduced rate.

Yeah, I just have a moral objection to the idea of offering unpaid internships, particularly when the worst-"offending" programs are pushing that as a solution rather than the (to me) more obvious/parsimonious/responsible choice of decreasing their incoming class sizes. Particularly when the programs often require that folks still pay tuition while on said internships, even if at a reduced rate.

As I become more aware of the implications, I am beginning to agree. Those interviewees all are "saddled" with insurmountable debt that has kept them from buying homes and contributed to perpetuating some seemingly unhealthy behavior patterns, IMO. They simply accept it as reality and struggle to make their payments.

The danger, again IMO, is when one's perspective is narrowed and only a small slice of objective reality is viewed as "normal." Giant debt, acceptance into "the only school that would take me" and a lifetime if consequences don't have to be "normal." If the only school you consider is for profit, then you see only that tiny sliver of the possibilities. And it seems normal since everyone around you is doing it right along with you.