Question about grades and science classes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am 2nd year undergrad. I have yet to take any of my science classes as I have been working full time and doing other pre reqs. It has been a long journey to finally discover Podiatry but I am so excited now that I have. At the end of this semester I will have 33 semester hrs and will be quitting my job to focus on my science classes, MCAT and the other classes I have to finish up. I will be going into the Fall semester with a 3.81 GPA. This is because of 2 classes that I took while working over nights (worst time of my life BTW). I hate looking at those B's on my transcript. Would it be worth it for me to go back and retake those over the summer to get an A so I could be heading into my science classes with a solid 4.0?

This brings me to my other dilemma. I am two years out of high school and to be honest I was a slacker in high school, went through a lot my senior year and lost focus all together. However, I am back on track and pursuing my dream more than ever. I got a C or something in Chemistry in high school due to me not trying or caring. I am scared to be going into all of my science classes with really no prior knowledge. I am prepared to study my @ss off as this is the path I have chosen to take in life and I want to do the very best at it. Will I be able to pick up all the science along the way or should I already have a solid base of knowledge?

Thanks a lot; I really enjoy reading all of your success stories on here. Pure motivation.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to make up those classes just for a b. it is kinda like fixing something that doesn't need to be fix.

If you have good math skills and can memorize some molecules, then you're ready for chemistry.

Good luck

I don't think the pod admissions committees even look at your non science GPA (unless it's utterly atrocious). I would not worry about the non science B's... Focus on getting as many A's as you can in your sciences. In terms of preparation for undergrad science courses... you don't really need much background to do well (considering most incoming freshman have forgotten all their physics, calculus, chem, and bio...) Consider it a fresh start in science!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, you shouldn't worry about retaking classes you received B's in; the AACMP will just average the two grades anyway when you apply. I would also just jump on board with the science classes but if you are worried...and have the extra time and money, you could take a intro level science class. I took chem 100 before starting all the pre-reqs and it helped with confidence. Some might view this as a waste of time but it worked for me. It just depends on your situation.

I don't think the pod admissions committees even look at your non science GPA (unless it's utterly atrocious). I would not worry about the non science B's... Focus on getting as many A's as you can in your sciences. In terms of preparation for undergrad science courses... you don't really need much background to do well (considering most incoming freshman have forgotten all their physics, calculus, chem, and bio...) Consider it a fresh start in science!

That is the advice I was looking for! They ask for 90 hrs correct? Is it unrealistic to finish up my pre reqs in 2 years or less? 57hrs is what I need i believe..

I agree, you shouldn't worry about retaking classes you received B's in; the AACMP will just average the two grades anyway when you apply. I would also just jump on board with the science classes but if you are worried...and have the extra time and money, you could take a intro level science class. I took chem 100 before starting all the pre-reqs and it helped with confidence. Some might view this as a waste of time but it worked for me. It just depends on your situation.

That's good advice.

When I started back on the undergrad requirements I jumped right into the Chemistry classes and that proved to be a mistake as I was playing catch up(even failed the first two exams) so later on I did take the intro physics before trying those 10 hours. So that's great advice in my opinion and hardly a waste of time if you can afford it.

That is the advice I was looking for! They ask for 90 hrs correct? Is it unrealistic to finish up my pre reqs in 2 years or less? 57hrs is what I need i believe..

You might not want to speed through them. It's possible to get passing grades and a decent GPA on the quick but you might not retain a lot of the info long term. This is a common problem a lot of the people I tutor have especially when they take classes over the summer.

But if you have a Sheldon Cooper memory then by all means rush through :) Good luck regardless.

That's fine fivescrew, but right now, I can say that probably cover more info in a couple of days of biochem than in an entire semester of chem 1. Because they are basic level courses, you should have ample time to learn and understand. I'm not sheldon... I'm Wolowitz... Just an engineer... :mad:

Of course, don't get me wrong. If you can jump in the deep end and manage to make it to the surface and succeed then that is certainly the way to go if only because it builds confidence and study skills. I know a lot of people that can do that but I'm certainly not one. Slow and steady for me.

My point was that taking the slow path is just as valid and nothing to be ashamed of. Just have to learn to live with the envy of those superwiz type students :)

Haha... consistency probably serves you very well in school.

It does. If only because I spent years in undergrad and beyond learning to think one way. Only to decide to pursue a medical career and learn to have to think a complete different way.

I had a terrible HS chem teacher and learned nothing. I was nervous as well going into Gen Chem and Organic in college. I ended up taking two non-science-major entry level courses - one for gen chem and one for organic. It was the best thing I ever did. Ended up being a sGPA boost and I ended up doing very well in the upper level sciences. So, more credits, more A's and a great foundation.

I had a terrible HS chem teacher and learned nothing. I was nervous as well going into Gen Chem and Organic in college. I ended up taking two non-science-major entry level courses - one for gen chem and one for organic. It was the best thing I ever did. Ended up being a sGPA boost and I ended up doing very well in the upper level sciences. So, more credits, more A's and a great foundation.

Awesome, I am going to do that. Will that likely put me back a year?