Question about graduating in 5 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnprunner12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a junior pre-med collegiate cross country runner. I am on track to graduate in 4 years, but I have the option of coming back in the fall of my 5th year to compete. Due to the strength of our team (perennial national meet qualifier), I will probably not be good enough to run at nationals until my 5th year. There is a high probablity that I would be able to get a good medical research job for the winter and spring quarters of my 5th year. I am wondering if med schools will look down on my decision to take part of a year off? Or, should I say "screw cross country," and apply this coming fall?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in 4.5 years (didn't start pre-med) and I took a year off in the middle, so it was a total of 5.5 years start to finish. So far, it hasn't been an issue in any of my interviews (I've been to a half dozen schools). I've been asked why I took time off and what I learned, but as long as you can articulate this, I think this is increasingly common.

I'm sure others will disagree :laugh:, but my experience was that going it in a way that worked for me made me a stronger applicant.

As long as you can explain your reasoning intelligently (and this pretty much goes with anything in your application file) you'll be fine. I can't imagine many adcoms who would hold it against you for taking time off to do something that is meaningful to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody will care...this would be completely irrelevant to med schools...you will never have to explain it.

I was an undergraduate for five years and I am currently taking a gap year to work/apply. Absolutely no one has cared about my taking of five years, and all that I have needed to worry about is being able to explain what I've been doing during the gap year.

If you need to do it, do it. It will not hurt your chances.

So I am a junior pre-med collegiate cross country runner. I am on track to graduate in 4 years, but I have the option of coming back in the fall of my 5th year to compete. Due to the strength of our team (perennial national meet qualifier), I will probably not be good enough to run at nationals until my 5th year. There is a high probablity that I would be able to get a good medical research job for the winter and spring quarters of my 5th year. I am wondering if med schools will look down on my decision to take part of a year off? Or, should I say "screw cross country," and apply this coming fall?

I'd argue that this would make you MORE appealing to medical schools. My most interesting classmates are the ones who did not come straight to medical school from undergrad (that's not to say all people that did are boring, but many of them are:)).

You have every reason, in my opinion, to go through with this plan. If anyone gives you any guff on the interview trail (and I seriously doubt ANYONE would), just tell them you wanted to investigate the possibility of research and see if you were interested in it, and that, coupled with the cross country potential, made your choice very clear. Any sensible interviewer will see this as positive at best, and neutral at worst.

I was an undergraduate for five years and I am currently taking a gap year to work/apply. Absolutely no one has cared about my taking of five years, and all that I have needed to worry about is being able to explain what I've been doing during the gap year.

same here. took a semester off, transferred schools, changed majors, & took 5 years to finish undergrad. am now enjoying a year off as i apply, work, relax, etc. i don't think that it's been an issue at all. so like everyone said, as long as you can explain what you were up to, i don't think you'll have any problems at all. enjoy doing something you love! :thumbup:

It definitely wouldn't hurt you -- I agree with other posters that have mentioned it will probably make you a more appealing candidate.

Medical school will always be there for you, but other opportunities in your life may not be so constant. Take advantage whenever you can!

Makes no difference as long as your application is competitive (academics, LORs, extracurriculars, PS).

First, I doubt you will EVER be asked "why did it take you 5 years to graduate". Secondly, why would you EVER pass up on the opportunity to participate in a sport you love. You might never get a chance again to run at nationals; you will get to be a doctor forever.

Plus, running at nationals for XC could only make you a more "special" and attractive candidate.

Do what you love--medicine will always be there waiting for you.