question about Hemoglobin A1c ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaden

Indestructible
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I have this topic about Hemoglobin A1c that I have to do a presentation about !!

While I was searching, I couldn't find a specific answers for these two questions, can you help me please .. ?

1. Is it use for diagnosis of DM or just for blood sugar control ?

2. Can we use it for DM type 2 or just 1 ?

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

1. Used to evaluate glucose control over the past ~6-8 weeks (can be reflective for up to 3 months). Not used for diagnosis.

2. Useful for all patients with DM - type I and II

hey guys I have this topic about Hemoglobin A1c that I have to do a presentation about !!

While I was searching, I couldn't find a specific answers for these two questions, can you help me please .. ?

1. Is it use for diagnosis of DM or just for blood sugar control ?

2. Can we use it for DM type 2 or just 1 ?

Thanks !

Last summer sometime several "expert groups" decided that we can now use A1c as a diagnostic tool. Those with an A1c =>6.5 have DM. I'm sure there are plenty of articles about that

Members don't see this ad :)
Last summer sometime several "expert groups" decided that we can now use A1c as a diagnostic tool. Those with an A1c =>6.5 have DM. I'm sure there are plenty of articles about that

I thought that the committee appointed by the ADA made it a "recommendation" but that it was not yet officially adopted by the ADA or what not (I could be wrong)? In any case, the recommendation applies only to Type 2 patients and non-pregnant individuals. It only applies to those with Type I if the typical signs/symptoms aren't present (3 P's, random glucose 200+).

Not sure if it's "required" or just "recommended", but A1C is indeed used as a diagnostic tool as of this past year. I learned it was >6.4, but 6.5 isn't a huge difference I suppose.

As far as what I was told, it is now considered a legitimate way to diagnose with the cut-off being 6.5.

1) Diagnosis: HbA1c > or = 6.5 is now considered sufficient to diagnose DM1 and 2
2) Monitoring: Target HbA1c is <7

In the past, HbA1c had not been recommended as a diagnostic tool due in part to lack of standardization of the assay. With improved standardization, this issue is not as much of a concern anymore. The one group of patients where HbA1c may not be sufficiently accurate is patients with increased RBC turnover (e.g. - hemolysis from sickle cell anemia).

The American Diabetes Association lists diagnostic criteria for diabetes on their position statement in table 3, page 567 (link below):
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/Supplement_1/S62.full.pdf+html

Excellent answer below! Dont forget that some drugs can also cause hemolytic anemia thus throwing off A1C #s...

1) Diagnosis: HbA1c > or = 6.5 is now considered sufficient to diagnose DM1 and 2
2) Monitoring: Target HbA1c is <7

In the past, HbA1c had not been recommended as a diagnostic tool due in part to lack of standardization of the assay. With improved standardization, this issue is not as much of a concern anymore. The one group of patients where HbA1c may not be sufficiently accurate is patients with increased RBC turnover (e.g. - hemolysis from sickle cell anemia).

The American Diabetes Association lists diagnostic criteria for diabetes on their position statement in table 3, page 567 (link below):
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/Supplement_1/S62.full.pdf+html