Question about how homestay programs at medical schools and staying the night with a medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to sign up for a homestay program/spend the night with a med school student before the interview and still visit with the student, but not spend the night with them or would that go over negatively? I've already made hotel reservations and want to make sure that i'm totally prepared for the interview beforehand and have a great night's sleep before. There are also personal reasons that it's better that I don't go into much detail.

Is there any way to spend time with the medical school student in the homestay program without spending the night or would this go over badly/leave a bad impression?

Members don't see this ad.

No, don't try to order off the menu. If they let you choose between a hotel or staying with a med student, those are the choices. you will have ample opportunities to ask questions of med students during the lunch or tour on interview day. I promise you the med student has studying they would just as soon be doing, and the offer to let you stay from their point of view was more about saving you a few bucks than spending a ton of time with you.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe you'll find a handful of schools that offer social events with current students the night before the interview, but as far as I know, what you're suggesting doesn't happen. Student hosts are offered so that people don't have to pay for hotels. Sometimes your host will be more than just a place to sleep and they'll take you out to dinner or something, but if there's a test coming up, you're most likely just going to be there to sleep and perhaps talk a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to sign up for a homestay program/spend the night with a med school student before the interview and still visit with the student, but not spend the night with them or would that go over negatively? I've already made hotel reservations and want to make sure that i'm totally prepared for the interview beforehand and have a great night's sleep before. There are also personal reasons that it's better that I don't go into much detail.

Is there any way to spend time with the medical school student in the homestay program without spending the night or would this go over badly/leave a bad impression?

We're not there to be your personal guide to medical school. We know how expensive the application process to medical school is. We're just there to help you a little bit with the costs and maybe chat for a few minutes about the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously this will be school dependent. My roommates and I hosted a lot of students last year(>20) and on a couple occasions we had students who had hotel rooms ask to just stop by briefly and chat or go to dinner(if a bunch of the hosts/hostees were already going to dinner). It was never a problem, even the night before an exam. Talk to the people and run the hosting and just ask. The worst they can say is that no one is available.

Reactions: 1 user