Question about Invega Sustenna

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So Invega Sustenna is marketed as having an advantage of being able to discontinue oral antipsychotics as soon as you initiate treatment. Has anyone found that patients started on Sustenna become symptomatic again initially? i.e. can we REALLY stop the orals at initiation (you can't for any other depot drug).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So Invega Sustenna is marketed as having an advantage of being able to discontinue oral antipsychotics as soon as you initiate treatment. Has anyone found that patients started on Sustenna become symptomatic again initially? i.e. can we REALLY stop the orals at initiation (you can't for any other depot drug).

Thanks!

We sling invega depot's at my institution. I've already started a dozen or so patients on it in the inpatient unit after trial of oral formulation and haven't noticed any resurgent sx after starting it and stopping oral. And the patients on it in clinic like the convenience of it's admin as well.

More like the patient will discontinue oral medications and you have safety net of higher drug concentration levels in their system. All meds need to be titrated to effect. The maintenance dose is 117mg-234mg. I would just keep them on oral risperidone and tell them to take it if they feel they need it and hold for side effects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 10 patients that are pumped up about getting their first Invega Trinza dose in the next several weeks :D

Reactions: 1 user
That's what the label says to do. 2 fixed loading doses then vary the maintenance dose by clinical effect.

I just saw a patient today (inherited from the previous resident who took care of him) who was successfully treated with the recommended 234 + 156 with no PO overlap.