Question about Late Acceptances + Reapplication Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard those stories of people getting accepted really late into the summer, sometimes just a week before orientation starts, and having to scramble and quickly move over there and start medical school.

I'm gearing up to reapply this year in case things don't work out this cycle. I've received 4 II's - Tufts (deferral), NYMC (WL), Albany ("Under consideration" list) and Albert Einstein (pending decision).

Assuming I submit my apps in the same order as last year, I would work on my primary throughout May, submit it in early June, and work through all my secondaries in July and August. This cycle I nabbed three of my four II's in mid August.

Let's say I've received II's for my new cycle and I get an email from, say, NYMC or Albany saying that I'm in. What if I liked the schools to which I had received II's and liked my new application with the improvements, and wanted to go that route instead of taking the late acceptance and abruptly moving. Would medical schools know about this and see that I got accepted? In other words, would this even be allowed?

Note: This is just purely hypothetical. I obviously would prefer to not have to reapply. But I just wanted to know what my options are in case I get a really late acceptance but I wanted to proceed with my re-application. Again, this is ONLY IF by that point I had received early enough II's at schools I liked.

Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you get an acceptance and continue to reapply, then you will not be accepted in your second cycle or probably ever again. You can search the forum because this point has been discussed ad nauseum.

So you have to decide whether you want to reapply or wait for acceptances. You can submit your primary and then withdraw from any interviews you get if you get them that early and if you've been accepted, or you can withdraw from the schools you're waiting to hear back from and reapply.

If you get an acceptance and continue to reapply, then you will not be accepted in your second cycle or probably ever again. You can search the forum because this point has been discussed ad nauseum.

So you have to decide whether you want to reapply or wait for acceptances. You can submit your primary and then withdraw from any interviews you get if you get them that early and if you've been accepted, or you can withdraw from the schools you're waiting to hear back from and reapply.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Never mind. Saw that the first post mentioned what I said