Question about law and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymoushelp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, having the worst luck in the world, I have found myself in a strange and possibly tragic position. I am set to start my residency in June/July1. However, two weeks ago, I was notified by the police that my IP ws traced back for online harassment (something I did not do.) To make matters worse, I come from a very small area, so I actually do, by coincidence, know the victim (hello fate conspiring against me). Unfortunately, like an idiot, my wireless router was open and I live in a large apartment complex - so god knows who actually did this. I have explained this to the cops (as well as the fact that I don't possess any of the pictures in question) but this is still under investigation. Thus far, no charges have been filed. If they are filed, however, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

Stupidity aside on having an open wireless network in a tightly packed apartment complex, I have to ask - what should I do?
No charges have been filed yet, but what if they are filed before residency starts...it could be months before a trial. I'm pretty assured that, if it were to go to trial, I would be cleared, but what would happen to me and my medical residency (in another state, mind you) while this is going on? What if, in the worst case scenario, I were convicted in the end?

Just wondering what my future looks like as I've been freaking out for the past couple weeks and am not sure what to do. Any info (especially from a PD) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :(. Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Members don't see this ad.

So, having the worst luck in the world, I have found myself in a strange and possibly tragic position. I am set to start my residency in June/July1. However, two weeks ago, I was notified by the police that my IP ws traced back for online harassment (something I did not do.) To make matters worse, I come from a very small area, so I actually do, by coincidence, know the victim (hello fate conspiring against me). Unfortunately, like an idiot, my wireless router was open and I live in a large apartment complex - so god knows who actually did this. I have explained this to the cops (as well as the fact that I don't possess any of the pictures in question) but this is still under investigation. Thus far, no charges have been filed. If they are filed, however, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

Stupidity aside on having an open wireless network in a tightly packed apartment complex, I have to ask - what should I do?
No charges have been filed yet, but what if they are filed before residency starts...it could be months before a trial. I'm pretty assured that, if it were to go to trial, I would be cleared, but what would happen to me and my medical residency (in another state, mind you) while this is going on? What if, in the worst case scenario, I were convicted in the end?

Just wondering what my future looks like as I've been freaking out for the past couple weeks and am not sure what to do. Any info (especially from a PD) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :(. Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Talk to a lawyer about the legal side of things. Do it now. Don't get blind-sided.

As far as residency goes? Probably nothing, at least the first year - they could decide not to renew your contract, but they shouldn't be able to fire you for this (and if nothing comes of it, then how would they even know?). If you are convicted it could be problematic for licensure and you'll have to explain it again and again and again. The same goes for future credentialing at any hospital.

Keep original copies of any and all paperwork, especially correspondance, even a little bit remotely related to this. Save it FOREVER - all of it. Never give originals to anyone. Make copies.

(I refer you very quickly back to the bold and red and large above)

If you're cleared, you're cleared - as in no arrest, no ticket, nothing official. Again I'll refer you back to the lawyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Online harassment is a crime now? Why hasnt 90% of youtube and every online gaming community been arrested yet?

Hahaha this case was pretty extreme from my understanding lol. It just sucks having to wait to see if charges on gonna be brought etc...it's like constant anxiety knowing that something could happen any second and then having to go into defense mode :mad:

My understanding is IP addresses are unique to computers not to a wireless router. Regardless not putting a password on your network is stupid for this and several other reasons.

Hire a really good lawyer. Someone with ACTUAL experience in this kind of thing (clearly lawyers don't have to do residencies like doctors- so you'll have to do your research).

I had a buddy in his PGY1 year that got arrested for drunkeness in TX - hired a lawyer, got his record expunged before PD/program could find out.

Once you have your MD they can't take that away from you - but I agree with JDH- "problematic for licensure/credentialing." I definitely know one person taht actually has a record for drunkeness (not the guy above) in New Orleans that is now a Academic Hospitalist in FL. He was open about it and they didn't seem to care.

Again, get a lawyer so you don't go the route of worrying...

Best of luck.

I agree that you need a lawyer. It will be expensive but you need to try to make this go away. I wouldn't say anything to your med school or residency - would think that if charges are not brought you aren't obligated to tell anyone, but it will depend on what questions you are asked on future licensing and hospital credentialing requests. This sucks. Hopefully the victim knows you didn't do this?