Question about Letter of Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CedarZ4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have two questions regarding the LORs. I am a re-applicant and I am using the same LORs from last cycle. I was wondering if it was necessary to e-mail my references to ask them to send an "updated" letter which would just mean a date change to 2012 as opposed to 2011 when it was written. Since I haven't had any academic contact with them since they wrote it, I don't think any content will change anyway. Will it affect me negatively to keep the letter dated 2011?

The other question is that I recently took 2 classes with a professor. I am pretty confident that she likes me a lot as a student and I got As in both of the classes. However, I have doubts in her ability to write a positive letter of recommendation, not because she doesn't like me, but because of her writing ability/character. Would it be better for me to just forget it (I currently have 2 science, 1 non science and 1 EC LOR from last year) or would a positive but not perfectly written LOR be better than no letter at all?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I have two questions regarding the LORs. I am a re-applicant and I am using the same LORs from last cycle. I was wondering if it was necessary to e-mail my references to ask them to send an "updated" letter which would just mean a date change to 2012 as opposed to 2011 when it was written. Since I haven't had any academic contact with them since they wrote it, I don't think any content will change anyway. Will it affect me negatively to keep the letter dated 2011?

The other question is that I recently took 2 classes with a professor. I am pretty confident that she likes me a lot as a student and I got As in both of the classes. However, I have doubts in her ability to write a positive letter of recommendation, not because she doesn't like me, but because of her writing ability/character. Would it be better for me to just forget it (I currently have 2 science, 1 non science and 1 EC LOR from last year) or would a positive but not perfectly written LOR be better than no letter at all?

Thanks!

1. I would try to get updated letters with a 2012 date if possible.
2. You don't need that profs letter, you have enough letters for submission. Don't take the risk with a letter that might hurt your application.