Question about LORs for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpinebrook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

When program websites state that they require "three letters of recommendation" does that mean that they ONLY want three? Or should we be sending the maximum that ERAS allows (four) unless they specifically state they want three and three only?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Send three.

That's a relief to hear. I hope you're right! It's a long story but I wasn't able to secure a 4th letter that I thought I would easily get... First the attending agreed, but then asked how many letters I already had (three), then this person was basically like, "Four letters is too many, no one has time to read that much." End of story! :dead:

So then I asked around (my advisors, etc.) and they were between "you're fine, but get a 4th if you can" and "get a 4th if you can." :yeahright:

THEN... I actually went and looked up 30 of the schools that are on my list, and the vast majority say "three." One said "a minimum of three" and another said "at least three." Some programs didn't mention or specify it on their websites.

I guess I just want "permission" to not need to ask for another letter! :arghh::confused:;):)

Members don't see this ad :)