Question about MD/PhD application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tally

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools will consider you for both MD and MD/PhD after interview. I have seen on some people's MD apps that they were waitlisted for MD/PhD, but accepted MD, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools will consider you for both MD and MD/PhD after interview. I have seen on some people's MD apps that they were waitlisted for MD/PhD, but accepted MD, etc.?

This information really should be available on the website for each school's program. And is certainly a reasonable question to ask the office if you are invited for an interview. At one of the schools that I interviewed at, there was a separate MD only interview included in my interview schedule, and the post-interview consideration was entirely separate (I was accepted to both programs separately, so they were actually holding two places for me at the same school for a while.) Other schools will ask you to contact the MD only office and try to schedule your own interview for around the same time, and some programs just consider you based on the MD/PhD interview (and some of course, not at all.)

Many schools have things set up so that during interviews, one or two interviewers will be evaluating you specifically for the MD program. However, schools vary on what they do specifically after that point. In my personal experience, many schools will hold off on evaluating you for MD-only admission if you are waitlisted or on hold with the MD/PhD program. If you don't find out that you have been rejected until later in the cycle, chances are that more of the MD-only spots will have already been filled by the time the MD-only committee can really review you in detail and/or offer you a spot.

On the other hand, if you are denied an MD/PhD interview early on, many schools will evaluate you for an MD-only interview and your chances at admission may be a little bit better.

Again, this isn't the case everywhere, but I have found it to be true of several schools.

I know that this isn't exactly what you were asking, but I feel that it's important to say that even if a school considers MD/PhD applicants for MD-only admission, the process deviates a bit (sometimes negatively) from the normal MD-only review.