Question about military move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmed2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to report for internship orientation on June 8th and I'm not settling on a house until June 15th. If I do a DITY move am I able to put my household goods in storage until settlement? If I have the military move me, do they move it from storage to my house or is it my responsibility once they store it.

Also, I only live about an hour from my duty station, so would I be able to a DITY or military move after I have reported or does it need to be completed prior to my arrival?

Members don't see this ad.

I have to report for internship orientation on June 8th and I'm not settling on a house until June 15th. If I do a DITY move am I able to put my household goods in storage until settlement? If I have the military move me, do they move it from storage to my house or is it my responsibility once they store it.

Also, I only live about an hour from my duty station, so would I be able to a DITY or military move after I have reported or does it need to be completed prior to my arrival?

In general, for the government facilitated portion of the move-- they will store your household goods for up to 90 days after it has transited to your PCS destination. You setup delivery. I dont think they will cover the cost of storing things you DITY though.

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/jppsowa/outbound.html#Storage

Edit: I happen to be reading up DITY and hiring movers bc I fear I may end up moving at/around the time we finally get orders and only moving about 30 minutes away. Found this for you regarding DITY storage:
"Temporary storage (up to 90 days) incidental to a Personally Procured Move is authorized at Government expense. However, reimbursement will be based on the Government's cost to store a like amount of weight and will not include an incentive payment. If you must procure storage, you should use a bona-fide commercial storage facility (to include a mini-storage facility) and submit a claim for reimbursement for personally procured storage. This will be submitted on a DD Form 1351-2 to the Personal Property Office."

Last edited: