Question about MOC and board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

90 diopter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical question.

Lets say a board certified doc is planning on retiring in 8 years and just re-certified for a 10 year period with the ABO. Does this doc have to complete each of the stages of the MOC in order to maintain current certification, or can he choose to not participate in the MOC since he plans to retire before the next re-certification date and still maintain his current certification status?

The crux of the question is: is MOC required to keep one's current certification status, or is it simply a necessity to qualify for the next re-certification cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I understand it, the whole thing is to help qualify for the next cycle. I say this with the caveat that my understanding is very limited. You thinking about ditching out on the whole thing? I have thought about it.

I plan to re-certify one time and that'll be it. Fortunately, I obtained my initial certification not long before they changed all the MOC rules, so my current MOC cycle isn't too much of a pain.

I am most definitely interested in ditching the whole thing. Board certification is such a scam.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem that will be starting soon is not only will it be public knowledge that you are BC. They will put out there whether or not you are participating in MOC.

The problem that will be starting soon is not only will it be public knowledge that you are BC. They will put out there whether or not you are participating in MOC.

Whether this affects me or not will be determined.

My goal is to attain financial independence within a few years of my next certification renewal. If I hit my goal, I'm done with the board and will practice until the level of bureaucratic nuisance exceeds the enjoyment I get from patient care.

FYI, in several years of private practice, I've had a total of three patients ask me if I was board certified. Most of them don't care.

I'm pretty sure patients can already look up if you're board certified. How many actually do? Perhaps it will be more important in the future with premium lenses, but I still doubt that most patients will take that into account.

I'm also starting to wonder if recertification is actually worth it. I feel like you should get certified initially to help get a job, but once you're established why bother?

It could potentially be a problem with keeping hospital privileges, which you may need to have to be on staff at an ASC. That said, I know some ophthalmologists who are not on staff at any hospitals and whose transfer requirements--the reason for requirement for hospital staff memberships--are fulfilled by others. Also, some insurance companies require board certification, but if you dump those, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Presently, the MOC is a recertification by 10-year cycle. My cynical self foresees annual participation as a condition of currency in certification.

The public will have no idea what MOC is. They roughly understand board certified. Do you really anticipate patients changing doctors "because my current doctor isn't up to snuff on his MOC participation?"

It could potentially be a problem with keeping hospital privileges, which you may need to have to be on staff at an ASC. That said, I know some ophthalmologists who are not on staff at any hospitals and whose transfer requirements--the reason for requirement for hospital staff memberships--are fulfilled by others. Also, some insurance companies require board certification, but if you dump those, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Presently, the MOC is a recertification by 10-year cycle. My cynical self foresees annual participation as a condition of currency in certification.

Rand Paul can solve any hospital privilege difficulties :)

No I agree I don't think 98% of patients know or care about this stuff. Hospitals and insurance does though and that is my worry.