Question about my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalman123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm graduating this year and I have a question about applying and my chances. For the MCAT sections, how does this affect residency? Which sections are most important for med school and which ones are most important for residencies. The reason why I ask is because out of all of the shadowing and research I have done, none of it was more important than the MCAT, even when my GPA wasn't that good. I definitely want to be a doctor but I'm just not sure where to go from here. I would really appreciate it if someone could fill me in on this and give me pointers regarding my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm graduating this year and I have a question about applying and my chances. For the MCAT sections, how does this affect residency? Which sections are most important for med school and which ones are most important for residencies. The reason why I ask is because out of all of the shadowing and research I have done, none of it was more important than the MCAT, even when my GPA wasn't that good. I definitely want to be a doctor but I'm just not sure where to go from here. I would really appreciate it if someone could fill me in on this and give me pointers regarding my situation.

have you taken the MCAT? you are correct that the exam is arguably the most important part of your app, but why would you be concerned about residency at this point? the only thing you need to know about the MCAT is that you need to take it seriously and do well on it.

all the subsections of the MCAT are important, especially the verbal. there have been studies showing that one particular section is a better indicator of med school success...but all of that's irrelevant. it shouldn't matter to you that the BS section is slightly more important that the PS section; just study hard and do well. everything else is irrelevant.

Residencies don't care about MCAT. Like how med schools don't care about SAT. Also bolded sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you taken the MCAT? you are correct that the exam is arguably the most important part of your app, but why would you be concerned about residency at this point? the only thing you need to know about the MCAT is that you need to take it seriously and do well on it.

all the subsections of the MCAT are important, especially the verbal. there have been studies showing that one particular section is a better indicator of med school success...but all of that's irrelevant. it shouldn't matter to you that the BS section is slightly more important that the PS section; just study hard and do well. everything else is irrelevant.

I think the studies showed that the biological sciences and physical sciences were a better predictor of step 1 scores than verbal.

I think i'm having a hard time understanding your question here..... what?

I'll answer as much as I can. Your MCAT has nothing to do with residency, so worry about getting into med school first and then start thinking about residencies later on. And about your "situation"... i don't think we're really sure what that is. can you give us an idea of what your MCAT breakdown is, your ECs, volunteer stuff, you know stuff like that?

He is in for a rude awakening when he realizes he needs to take Step 1 to get into a residency. Poor guy might think he is golden after the MCAT.