Question about my CVS offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twinsmom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a CVS offer last week. It's a Staff Pharmacist FT at TX. Does FT means full time? One of my classmate says its floater. :(
It give me a number for initial annualized salary. Does that means salaried or hourly?
It also said I can "choose to work as a 6th year intern prior to graduation". I'm a P4 now, is that the 6th year intern?
I'm not from TX so I'm not familiar with the 6th year intern thing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a CVS offer last week. It's a Staff Pharmacist FT at TX. Does FT means full time? One of my classmate says its floater. :(

It's full time

It give me a number for initial annualized salary. Does that means salaried or hourly?

The position is "salaried" which means they don't have to pay you for time spent in training or other mandatory meetings. However, they incentivize picking up extra shifts by offering you a "bonus" equal to what your hourly rate would be if you were hourly.

It also said I can "choose to work as a 6th year intern prior to graduation". I'm a P4 now, is that the 6th year intern?

Yes. Traditional direct-entry schools were 6 years in total. The west-coast schools pushed more for a separated pharmacy program one would apply to start after the second year. This turned into the P1-P4 designation. You are on rotations for your sixth year/P4 year.

Yes. Traditional direct-entry schools were 6 years in total. The west-coast schools pushed more for a separated pharmacy program one would apply to start after the second year. This turned into the P1-P4 designation. You are on rotations for your sixth year/P4 year.

I thought it was the opposite. At WVU, Pitt, Duquesne, Ohio State, Ohio Northern, and countless other traditional schools back in my original neck of the woods, they used the P1-P4 designation. The East Coast schools are the only ones I know that do the P1-P6 thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Not sure that the 6 year designation is the "traditional" way of looking at pharmacy school. CVS uses this to cover those schools that are 0-6.

If I recall correctly, my offer was annualized based on 42 hour base. You are not guaranteed to have that base though. You can do the math to figure out your hourly rate, which is more important. And while you are offered full time position, the staff part might be tricky. They are looking 8-10 months down the line and you can still be floating until permanent position opens up. Most of the details are left up to the rxs.

It's full time

Thank you very much!

The position is "salaried" which means they don't have to pay you for time spent in training or other mandatory meetings. However, they incentivize picking up extra shifts by offering you a "bonus" equal to what your hourly rate would be if you were hourly.

Congratulations. I just saw this thread. (It is so easy to get lost on this site. haha. :) ) Question: are you going to negotiate your offer? I am seriously considering it and was wondering what you were doing.

you'll negotiate out of your offer. unless you have years of rph experience, most big box retails will not negotiate with a new grad with the current level of saturation