Question about pharmacy experience for PA schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEW UNIT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about pharmacy experience for PA schools. Recently I had to withdraw from my pharmacy (PharmD) program because of medical reasons and had to return home to get better. I am currently debating against going back to pharmacy as a career and would like to go into PA. I really was interested in PA since my volunteer days when I was younger (I am 24 right now and have been volunteering since 14). I was wondering, how does pharmacy experience look on a resume? The schools I'm applying to this next year is AT Still University and NAU (maybe Midwestern Glendale) all in Arizona.

My GPA:

Overall - 3.39

Science - 3.28 (with all upper division science/math classes...Including Organic Chem. and Calculus).

Pharmacy school: It is on a Pass/Fail system. There are no grades; Passing grades are 90% or above (anything lower than an 90% is an instant fail). I was passing all my classes until my health condition got worse.

Experiences:

2000 hours of pharmacy tech experience.

1000 hours of pharmacy intern experience.

500 hours of volunteering experience.

~800 hours of extracuricular activities during undergrad

~50 hours of extracurricular activities during pharmacy school

No PA shadow/volunteer experience (yet...will be getting it soon)

Have not taken the GRE yet.

Known languages: English, Russian, and Spanish

i know my GPA is on the low side. I will be returning to school this Fall to finish up my BS in Biology (with a focus in PA). I have 30 more credits to finish.

WIll my pharmacy experience count for anything? What are my chances of getting an interview?

Thank you for reading this. Hope to hear from you soon =).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a question about pharmacy experience for PA schools. Recently I had to withdraw from my pharmacy (PharmD) program because of medical reasons and had to return home to get better. I am currently debating against going back to pharmacy as a career and would like to go into PA. I really was interested in PA since my volunteer days when I was younger (I am 24 right now and have been volunteering since 14). I was wondering, how does pharmacy experience look on a resume? The schools I'm applying to this next year is AT Still University and NAU (maybe Midwestern Glendale) all in Arizona.

My GPA:

Overall - 3.39

Science - 3.28 (with all upper division science/math classes...Including Organic Chem. and Calculus).

Pharmacy school: It is on a Pass/Fail system. There are no grades; Passing grades are 90% or above (anything lower than an 90% is an instant fail). I was passing all my classes until my health condition got worse.

Experiences:

i know my GPA is on the low side. I will be returning to school this Fall to finish up my BS in Biology (with a focus in PA). I have 30 more credits to finish.

WIll my pharmacy experience count for anything? What are my chances of getting an interview?

Your pharmacy experience will be a detriment because you seem indecisive. I also notice from your post history you had interests in MD but never in PA. Why now?

Your pharmacy experience will be a detriment because you seem indecisive. I also notice from your post history you had interests in MD but never in PA. Why now?

Never liked pharmacy. As I stated, when I was younger, I volunteered in all medical section the hospital allowed me to volunteer. PA seemed more interesting to me. I never said I had an interest in MD. I said I was interested in PA.

I want to be a PA. Believe me. If my health did not get in the way of my pharmacy school and graduated, I would of just applied to schools during my last year (rotation year) of the pharmacy program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Never liked pharmacy. As I stated, when I was younger, I volunteered in all medical section the hospital allowed me to volunteer. PA seemed more interesting to me. I never said I had an interest in MD. I said I was interested in PA.

I want to be a PA. Believe me. If my health did not get in the way of my pharmacy school and graduated, I would of just applied to schools during my last year (rotation year) of the pharmacy program.

As noted previously, you stated you were applying MD (with the MD one being UofA) and DO programs in the past so there was some interests. Also the inquiries about Cases MD/DMD program as well. I didn't see any post in this forum with a glance at your posts?

As far as health, I would be careful about going to PA school because it is both mentally and physical strenuous.

As noted previously, you stated you were applying MD (with the MD one being UofA) and DO programs in the past so there was some interests. Also the inquiries about Cases MD/DMD program as well. I didn't see any post in this forum with a glance at your posts?

As far as health, I would be careful about going to PA school because it is both mentally and physical strenuous.

I never mentioned MD or DO. You must be confusing me with somebody else or I'm in the wrong forum. Maybe in the past since my cousin and I were sharing this account back then. He wanted to be a MD. I would always hang out in the pharmacy forum.

Anyway, I've been out of pharmacy school for a year now) and I got physically better. That is why I moved back to AZ.

My GPA:

Overall - 3.39

Experiences:

Last edited: