Question about PM&R pain programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GottaHaveIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a soon to be PM&R resident interested in pain. I was wondering what your opinions are on the PM&R run pain fellowships such as the ones at Montefiore and UCLA. Any issues with obtaining jobs or board certification after finishing one of these fellowships? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

PM&R people have no business doing pain!

Reactions: 1 users
UCLA is a good program from what I remember. I interviewed there back in the day

Members don't see this ad :)
Two of the the nicest (and brightest) folks on this board went to UCLA. PM Ai for more info.

PM&R people have no business doing pain!
So Dr. Dreyfuss is included in that group? Dr. DePalma? Dr. Kennedy? Dr. Russo? Or are they exceptions?

So Dr. Dreyfuss is included in that group? Dr. DePalma? Dr. Kennedy? Dr. Russo? Or are they exceptions?

Given the fact 101N is PM&R trained (I think), I'm pretty sure this was a sarcastic remark.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

101N is of the fringe, self-serving belief that all pain is central. He is at best an outlier. He is not usual and customary, ordinary and reasonable, nor is his approach the community standard. He does not practice standard of care pain management.

Last edited:
101N is of the fringe, self-serving belief that all pain is central. He is at best an outlier. He is not usual and customary, ordinary and reasonable, nor is his approach the community standard. He does not practice standard of care pain management.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

But he is funnier than you. And a better dancer.

Then maybe he should be a comedian. Or try out for 'So You Think You Can Dance'.

Does anyone know how competitive these PM&R pain programs usually are?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I take this as a complement:)

is colorado still joint PM&R? i think these would be competitive mainly due to the lack of availability of more PM&R pain fellowships.

For the OP, keep in mind there are reserved PM&R and other non-anesthesiology spots at pain programs based in anesthesia departments. That was a change implemented about 2 years ago via the NRMP match process.

I graduated from the UCLA program several years ago. The training is fantastic and we all left very well prepared. I have nothing but great things to say. PM me if you have any questions.