Question about podiatry student lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am set on podiatry! It offers everything I want in a career. I am very excited and anxious as I move closer to applying.

Anyway, I am a bodybuilder and it is something that takes time every single day and I love it. I do my best to make it not interfere with my daily schedule with class. I am up at 3am to eat and lift. I lift 2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. Will it be possible to keep this up during podiatry school?

Along with that I pack my food every single day and have to eat 6 meals a day.

I am hoping I can continue to live this lifestyle once I am in podiatry school.

Will it be possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I am set on podiatry! It offers everything I want in a career. I am very excited and anxious as I move closer to applying.

Anyway, I am a bodybuilder and it is something that takes time every single day and I love it. I do my best to make it not interfere with my daily schedule with class. I am up at 3am to eat and lift. I lift 2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. Will it be possible to keep this up during podiatry school?

Along with that I pack my food every single day and have to eat 6 meals a day.

I am hoping I can continue to live this lifestyle once I am in podiatry school.

Will it be possible?

First year maybe. You won't be waking up at 3 am though. You will most likely be studying til 12 am every weekday (if you are lifting heavily during the day instead of studying).

Oh man this has me worried..

I can not imagine having to give up bodybuilding.

When you say clinical rotations... What year is that during and are you just in one general area or anywhere in the country?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think school choice could play a big factor in this, specifically the first 3 years. Doing this at DMU would be very feasible. You live across the street from school for the times you need to be there, the school has a gym with everything you need and new and nice. Classes are minimally mandatory. The 4th year would be tougher like anklebreaker said, but apparently he doesn't have the heart of a champion. I am sorry he has not been able to maintain his adonis-like shape, but that is what he gets for going to all the top programs in the country.
It is possible to lift and workout and stay in shape 4th year, but not nearly to the level of dedication that you are currently giving it. It would also be program specific as far as time requirements. You would not be able to maintain your mass. Quite simply, during 4th year there is not time for you to sneak away and eat like you currently eat. You would eat less often - unless you can get by purely on protein bars. You would also place yourself at great risk of turning off the residents. Often they are looking for a reason not to like a student. If they don't understand your commitment and interpret it how they wish to....then you are poop out of luck at that program. The eating is the biggest issue. You would have to find a way to get your workouts in, but I think you could manage.
Once residency starts...well I can't comment since I am not there yet. I think in the end it should not deter you from school. You will eventually have to make a cross between a choice and compromise, but you have time to figure out that healthy inbetween.

I appreciate the responses!

I know it may sound silly but bodybuilding is something I am extremely passionate about and can not imagine having to give it up. Regardless I will find a way to male it work, hopefully.

I appreciate the responses!

I know it may sound silly but bodybuilding is something I am extremely passionate about and can not imagine having to give it up. Regardless I will find a way to male it work, hopefully.

Like I said, it won't be something you "give up," rather something that you adapt to fit your changing life and schedule. You will fortunately have time to make this a gradual change as the story of how your 4th year and residency will go unfolds. You can only learn so much about school life from these forums. A wise man (dtrack maybe? no.....) once said "don't be in a hurry to get to a place you will eventually be." Enjoy the ups and downs of school alongside your bodybuilding experiences. I am sure it will/does offer some type of refuge for you from the rigors of daily life.
Do you have any idea of what school you are likely to attend? Hopefully others can offer some insight, but i honestly believe you would have minimal problems with this lifestyle at DMU for the reasons stated previously. I have spent a lot of time with Midwestern students and I suspect you would have a similar experience there.

I was thinking I was going to have to quit Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, now I am quiet sure I am going to have to.

Oh well, eating healthy will be our main force for maintaining weight.

I was thinking I was going to have to quit Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, now I am quiet sure I am going to have to.

Oh well, eating healthy will be our main force for maintaining weight.

That sucks man. I just hit 230lbs too. Hoping for 250 by the time I matriculate. No way ill be able to hold on to that.

BTW Kent is my number one choice!

Any current students that could weigh in on this for me?

BTW Kent is my number one choice!

Any current students that could weigh in on this for me?

If you have good time management skills, you should be able to maintain your active lifestyle. I am not as efficient as others, so I spend a little extra time on campus, but I know a lot of students who work out every day at least an hour and maintain an excellent GPA. Lectures are all Mediasited, so you are free to watch them at your leisure.

If you have good time management skills, you should be able to maintain your active lifestyle. I am not as efficient as others, so I spend a little extra time on campus, but I know a lot of students who work out every day at least an hour and maintain an excellent GPA. Lectures are all Mediasited, so you are free to watch them at your leisure.

Awesome!

I know podiatry is what I want to do but the thought of having to sacrifice something I have worked so hard for is frustrating. But I guess this is what life is all baout, choices and sacrifices

Luckily I have gotten very good at time management with this whole bodybuilding thing. Cooking in bulk, waking early, etc. So I will just keep my head down and reach my goal of podiatry school for now. Then bust through any obstacle presented to me.

Thanks for the reply man! Gives me hope!

Awesome!

I know podiatry is what I want to do but the thought of having to sacrifice something I have worked so hard for is frustrating. But I guess this is what life is all baout, choices and sacrifices

Luckily I have gotten very good at time management with this whole bodybuilding thing. Cooking in bulk, waking early, etc. So I will just keep my head down and reach my goal of podiatry school for now. Then bust through any obstacle presented to me.

Thanks for the reply man! Gives me hope!

Just eat, lift heavy, and take your multi, brah. Stay safe.

Airbud said it all very well. It depends heavily on what kind of student you are and where you attend. We have a 4.0 student here who is very much into the weights..not a competitive BB, but could be. He is super smart, but gave up the lifting commitment to concentrate on pod school. He still looks huge, but apparently lost a quick 30 lbs first semester. I think the majority of my class is lucky to work out 3 days a week. You may just have to decide what commitment is more important to you - being a BB, or a podiatrist.

Sup buddy. Bodybuilder/powerlifter here and about to complete my first year. I live the same lifestyle you do, cause its 2:34am and about to head to the gym now, and I have my meals all packed for the day. But let me tell you, first semester you will lose gains and time in the gym. Getting acclimated is very hard and trying to fit in training in meals will test your will. Now in the second semester, I was able to budget time better now that I'm used to it and training and eating have been consistent. In fact I've been cutting and so even at a calorie deficit I am able to crank out 8 hour study days. But again, like people above said, it's all about how you handle school. I won't comment on my standing in the class but I study much less than others and am usually first to finish tests and usually get the top score depending on the class. I'm not saying I'm smarter than anyone I'm just saying I don't need to study as much because I retain very quickly. In fact I'm dumb, I got to be for punching myself in the head before a 600lb deadlift ;) you'll be fine brotha

Sup buddy. Bodybuilder/powerlifter here and about to complete my first year. I live the same lifestyle you do, cause its 2:34am and about to head to the gym now, and I have my meals all packed for the day. But let me tell you, first semester you will lose gains and time in the gym. Getting acclimated is very hard and trying to fit in training in meals will test your will. Now in the second semester, I was able to budget time better now that I'm used to it and training and eating have been consistent. In fact I've been cutting and so even at a calorie deficit I am able to crank out 8 hour study days. But again, like people above said, it's all about how you handle school. I won't comment on my standing in the class but I study much less than others and am usually first to finish tests and usually get the top score depending on the class. I'm not saying I'm smarter than anyone I'm just saying I don't need to study as much because I retain very quickly. In fact I'm dumb, I got to be for punching myself in the head before a 600lb deadlift ;) you'll be fine brotha

Awesome man! What time do you get to bed to get up at 230? I imagine that coming up with a routine takes a few months to be able to squeeze our lifestyle into podiatry school.

Man 600lb deadlift is impressive! I do only bb'ing but can lift quite a bit for not being a powerlifter.

Good stuff man! Thanks for the insight!

I don't always wake up at 230, depends on when I sleep. Sometimes ill get up at 430 but like I said even with a strict schedule you gotta be ready for the unexpected like studying til 3am..obv training won't be happening that morning lol later in the day. And yeah I love powerlifting it's my passion but bodybuilding is close second would love to do a show one day

You should see how much dtrack benches.

Big-Show.jpg