Question about PostDoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY-Psych-Dream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to start internship in July, but I'm thinking about postdoc. I am interested in specializing in perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs) / reproductive mental health. There is a T32 reproductive mental health research-focused postdoc at UNC, but I'm coming from a predominantly clinical background so I don't know how qualified I am for that position. Also, I want to stay in NY. I've noticed there are numerous women's mental health/PMADs psychiatric fellowships at major universities in the North East. They provide opportunities for research and clinical specialization. Is it possible for a PhD to apply to a psychiatric fellowship?

I know I can't prescribe. BUT - My dissertation is focused on postpartum depression. I have worked in several research labs that focus on PMAD issues. I have worked in an intensive outpatient program focusing on PMADs. I feel like I'm qualified for these programs, but I'll have a PhD not an MD!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine this will probably vary by postdoc position, whether they have flexibility in who they accept or not - probably best to contact the programs you are interested in directly to find out eligibility criteria. Send a nice professional email, include why you're interested and what experiences you have, along with your CV, and hopefully they'll be willing to consider you! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I imagine this will probably vary by postdoc position, whether they have flexibility in who they accept or not - probably best to contact the programs you are interested in directly to find out eligibility criteria. Send a nice professional email, include why you're interested and what experiences you have, along with your CV, and hopefully they'll be willing to consider you! Good luck!
Thanks! That's definitely doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible for a PhD to apply to a psychiatric fellowship?

For primarily clinical fellowships, no. Most of these programs are looking for residency-trained psychiatrists, so the fellowship is basically subspecialty training.

There might be flexibility in some research fellowships, especially if the positions are 100% research and you would not be expected to generate clinical revenue. The T32 program you mentioned is a good example.

Agreed, email and ask. Even if they aren't designed for psychologists, they might be open to taking one with a background in the area. If you don't have a strong research background, any T32 is likely going to be a tough sell. One of the main things they usually are looking for is demonstrated commitment to a research career.

Thanks all! I'm going to just start emailing in the Fall and see what pans out.